Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I don't know who needs to hear this but-

Having a poor understanding of how to contextualize large amounts of data and Analytics, and not learning when it DOESN'T apply is just as bad as people who pretend like the data doesn't matter or that there are some kinds of magical "intangibles" that make it cease to exist.

May 11, 2018
bunting does work against the right teams with certain types of fielders in place. it is an effective tool to have. I have noticed my DD's team the coach only has them bunt when the defense is not expecting it and have arranged themselves in the field to benefit the bunter.

Oct 4, 2018
In general teams should be constructed such that on average, they align with the larger population statistics. However, from a run probability perspective the players who are at the (bad) tail of the offensive run production probability curves should a) provide a large amount of run-saving probability on defense and b) should be able to play small ball.

I love my younger DD's team. I'm not sure if this is what you're saying, but they have such a great balance of speed and power. And all of them can hit/bunt.

May 17, 2012
I don't know who needs to hear this but-

Having a poor understanding of how to contextualize large amounts of data and Analytics, and not learning when it DOESN'T apply is just as bad as people who pretend like the data doesn't matter or that there are some kinds of magical "intangibles" that make it cease to exist.

By ignoring the data you are using your gut instinct/eyeball test and you are no better than random chance.

Nov 5, 2014
This....
and is based upon average situations...there will always be six sigma situations which call for a different strategy...

and this

are important points that are often overlooked when discussing data and analytics. We tend to want nice neat arguments like analytics good or analytics bad. It is much more nuanced than that i.e. base stealing. The math was done on that as well and there has been a huge drop off over the last 30 years in mlb stolen bases yet both the Rays and Dodgers, organizations run by analytics heavy front offices, steal quite often. Why? because they have players who are not representative of the averages. They brings me to one other point most of the math has been done for MLB. Fastpitch softball is a different sport and the math MAY be different furthermore there is no equivalent "league" for fastpitch that has 30 or so teams comprised of the best players in the world. Resulting in bigger talent disparities for most fastpitch situations.

My 2 cents. Use analytics but also understand when you have a non standard situation and adjust as necessary

Jun 8, 2016
By ignoring the data you are using your gut instinct/eyeball test and you are no better than random chance.
I want to be clear on your stance. Is it that in every individual situation the decision should be made based upon the statistics based upon the large population from which the statistics were taken? If so I am glad you don't design airplanes... ;)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
But bunting for a hit is hard. When you combine the probability of getting a bunt for a hit AND the probability of stealing 2B the math isn't in your favor.

The game has evolved. The math has been done.
@GunnerShotgun...you have commented befor about the game has evolved.
Yes it has!
The ball fly's farther now.
Pitchers have been moved back.
And defensive players are put at more of a task to deal with higher batting averages aka easier to crush the ball....
Which makes being able to mix in small ball more relevant to batters having a choice.
If the only thing corners had to do was stay back it would be easier for the defense!

Its great to still be envolved to see how fastpitch has grown!

@GunnerShotgun did you ever play fastpitch?
Just wondering if you have experienced being a corner in a game where the other team has more skills than just swinging?

As for stats have already commented toward that.
The #'s do not fit every rosters skill sets!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802