Is bunting considered "old softball"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Looking at MLB data can be helpful, but fastpitch is more fast-paced, IMO. I remember watching my daughter play a high school game a few years ago, and there being a baseball game played on a nearby field. Guess I hadn't watched a HS baseball game in a while. There was a ground ball to shortstop. I was stunned in the reminder at how much time the shortstop had to make the play. Why are you being so casual, kid? Throw the ball! He could've tied his shoe first and got the batter out.

I have a friend who annoys me frequently with his trashing of college softball because of the number of misplays and mental errors. I try to tell him, 'It's not baseball.' Softball defense is more demanding mentally because of the 60 feet, IMO. Not to mention the smaller hands and larger balls, which makes it a tad harder to field a ball cleanly. More dropped balls at first base. Putting the ball in play with runners on base does create more stress in softball. Whether that means there should be more bunting, I don't know, but just sayin'.

May 23, 2015
I've played and coached baseball at very high levels and I have coached fast pitch at high levels. Even played a luttle fastpitch in the day.. Thers are far more similarities than differences.

Jun 8, 2016
Looking at MLB data can be helpful, but fastpitch is more fast-paced, IMO. I remember watching my daughter play a high school game a few years ago, and there being a baseball game played on a nearby field. Guess I hadn't watched a HS baseball game in a while. There was a ground ball to shortstop. I was stunned in the reminder at how much time the shortstop had to make the play. Why are you being so casual, kid? Throw the ball! He could've tied his shoe first and got the batter out.

I have a friend who annoys me frequently with his trashing of college softball because of the number of misplays and mental errors. I try to tell him, 'It's not baseball.' Softball defense is more demanding mentally because of the 60 feet, IMO. Not to mention the smaller hands and larger balls, which makes it a tad harder to field a ball cleanly. More dropped balls at first base. Putting the ball in play with runners on base does create more stress in softball. Whether that means there should be more bunting, I don't know, but just sayin'.
@Westwind posted a run expectancy chart for D1 and D3 softball. While I didn't interrogate them completely, the conclusions (at least statistically) seem similar to MLB in terms of sacrifice bunting.

Jun 16, 2010
Softball is a more technically demanding game. Faster paced.

And a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

I played baseball until college. Cannot pay me to watch it. Its horrible as a spectator.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Maybe I’m wrong but it looks to me like a sac bunt to move a runner from 2nd to 3rd (standard ITB strategy) actually makes it slightly less likely the run will score? That comes from a guy that would do just that and then squeeze most of the time....
Wonder if those that chose to sac bunt in D1-D3 did so because the pitcher was harder to hit against?
Just thinking that at college those hitters should already be capable.
And there could be a reasonable 'hitter' on the bench to pinch hit...instead of sac bunt?!
At that coaching level that probably wasnt a willy'nilly decision.?!

@Westwind you commented about being a coach who sac bunts...after you reading that college stat info did it change your coaching?...
Or~ What was your results?
Did you experience positive results to continue bunts in your coaching style?

Can say when coaching like bunting/small ball it is a great resource/tool.
However it does happen in some games it is used little.
Do like having speed/small ball in the line up. Not all teams have that.

As a player,
I could break 3.0 from the right box.
Being able to drop a bunt or turn and crush it i know with certainty added a heightened tecnical element for the defense.
Could work my bat against their positioning.
Didnt need a coach to tell me when to bunt.
Additionally being able to
Fake bunt swing created a dangerous situation for the defense.
Created a reaction time element for defense...
Would also fake bunt, draw back to swing, then bunt.
Put controling the game in my favor!

My softball philosophy
CONTROL THE BALL TO CONTROL THE GAME!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
@625 what brought you to fastpitch?

After fastpitch in college and womans open...played a short season of bb.
Found out not only is bb slow to watch,
participating fishing has more activity!

Go Bass Pro Shops!! :)

Jun 16, 2010
My dd was above avg fast but not a speedster ...and rh. Yet she was bunted a lot in college......not to get on base....to advance fast runner to scoring position. Because she could lay the bunt perfectly....thunk. you kneel facing pitcher, hold the bat at 1 oclock, top hand just under barrel... tap the ball forward and down.... She would always be out..runner would always be on 3.

If you swing away..only ..might strike out....might fly out...might hit in front of runner keeping them on 2.
Why don't you like it as a spectator?

Sssllloooooooooooowwwwwwwwww.
It's honestly like watching paint dry.

Which is why MLB games are like circuses. Selling food toys apparel. Playing music and doing giveaways to hold people's interest. Even fireworks afterwards. And on top of that many of the tickets are dirt cheap just to get people to fill half the stands for a game. For many of the people, teenagers especially is just a place to go to socialize with others.

Going to a baseball game is not about watching baseball. Because watching baseball plain sucks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28