IS AND OUT AN OUT?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
agreed, but not all K's are created equally
Situational....

runner on 1B, one out. putting ball into play and a inning ending double play....no good. I'd take the K and then the next batter having a chance with 2 outs and runner at 1st.

2 outs, and I'd take ball in play every time.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
i don't want drastic changes in swing, i want change in philosophy

fight off a close pitch that is hard to work with.......a more aggressive sense of the zone and knowledge that you know need a pitch you can do something with.....what that something is might be situational.....is it a pitch you can put a ground ball to the right side with and move a runner? my better hitters i want them to keep fighting to get a pitch they can do something positive with

i've always hated the term 'protect with 2' - i want attack with 2 (just not to the point at swinging at something out of the zone, but.....)

with all that in mind, i think a K looking in most situations IS a "bad" out
Our approach is with less than 2 strikes we are a hunter or predator of the yellow ball. 2 strikes we change to battle mode mentality.... But the swing doesn't change

May 20, 2015
Situational....

runner on 1B, one out. putting ball into play and a inning ending double play....no good. I'd take the K and then the next batter having a chance with 2 outs and runner at 1st.

2 outs, and I'd take ball in play every time.

yes

and i'll take a 8 pitch K where the pitcher just finally won over a 3 pitch, overmatched, ugly swing K haha

Nov 4, 2015
Thanks for the responses. I agree with you guys. Same swing, but different approach. Be aggressive with 2 strikes. I've tried to explain that with a runner on 2nd and no outs, 2 ground balls to the second baseman scores a run. 2 k's and you have to get a hit with 2 outs. Not all K's are the same, but more good things can happen when the ball is in play.

May 6, 2015
when I coached 10u rec, I looked at BIP much more than BA. eye test did tell me who was hitting the ball hard, but I still liked to know who was putting the ball in play more in order to put together sequences that would score runs and not have low offense innings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812