IR Routine for beginners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
This is exactly the point having a straight arm hand behind the ball just isn't natural and most kids that are taught this way by the time they are 12/14 have figured it out for themselves but you could be one of the best pitchers in the world and still not understand what you body has figured out naturally so you can't teach it and you end up teaching what you've been taught...hand behind and hello elbow

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I put a post on a fastpitch Facebook page and another fastpitch forum for my state (Oklahoma) ISO for either Tincher or IR coaching. So far, zero responses. I don’t think people 1. Know what it’s called, 2. Don’t know how to teach it to kids who don’t do it naturally. We may be on our own...

Good luck. I've been looking in Oklahoma for a couple of years now. I know of one coach who has had her eyes opened a little about it but doesn't feel comfortable teaching it yet (she is currently trying to learn more about it), and I know of one coach who teaches HE to her newer/younger pitchers (from what I can see) but who has started really championing brush (although she just calls it using the hips) and decrying getting the hips out of the way, which sort of forces IR but I'm not sure if I'd recommend her either yet. There are a couple of coaches that I SUSPECT may teach it, but I've never gotten a good answer and in my experience at least in my DD's age group- the parents of the girls who do it, are tight-lipped.

Nov 18, 2015
If she's used to HE mechanics, she may be reluctant to "trust" what she's feeling with a full IR motion. Hand behind the ball will give a beginner a much more "in control" feeling. She may be trying to "flick" the ball with the wrist at the end of the pitch. With I/R, when you lead with the pinky - it's more of a "fling". At least, that's the feeling that I'm trying to achieve.

Aug 17, 2019
Good luck. I've been looking in Oklahoma for a couple of years now. I know of one coach who has had her eyes opened a little about it but doesn't feel comfortable teaching it yet (she is currently trying to learn more about it), and I know of one coach who teaches HE to her newer/younger pitchers (from what I can see) but who has started really championing brush (although she just calls it using the hips) and decrying getting the hips out of the way, which sort of forces IR but I'm not sure if I'd recommend her either yet. There are a couple of coaches that I SUSPECT may teach it, but I've never gotten a good answer and in my experience at least in my DD's age group- the parents of the girls who do it, are tight-lipped.
Well, that sucks. Moore/Norman is like the Mecca of fastpitch in OK. You’d think there would be someone who knows something.

Aug 17, 2019
If she's used to HE mechanics, she may be reluctant to "trust" what she's feeling with a full IR motion. Hand behind the ball will give a beginner a much more "in control" feeling. She may be trying to "flick" the ball with the wrist at the end of the pitch. With I/R, when you lead with the pinky - it's more of a "fling". At least, that's the feeling that I'm trying to achieve.
I agree with this. She has it in her head that it will be out of control if she uses IR. It’s understandable, with anything new.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
It really is sad that they are so many closed minded people wrt this. We have a few in our area but none teach IR. One kinda does and calls it forearm fire but he teaches come from the top straight to the bottom and release. DUMB.

Ive offered to help with any and all but parents want a “known coach.” Just because they are known doesnt mean they know. I had one dad of a teammate and showed him video of top pitchers and of his dd. I explained it clearly as possible and he seemed to get it. He went back to her coach and coach said “ that’s what older pitchers do. They cant do that when they are young. “ (Hands up in despair)

Jun 8, 2016
Well, that sucks. Moore/Norman is like the Mecca of fastpitch in OK. You’d think there would be someone who knows something.
Moore maybe..Norman not so much outside of the college side of things ;) ( I live in Norman..)

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I've been through this process with my DD. It can be overwhelming. There is tremendous knowledge and experience on this site, which has helped us for sure. But you definitely can feel like you are drowning. I would highly recommend Bill Hillhouse's approach/videos as you get started. As others on this forum can attest, he knows what he is talking about. His approach is also very simple and straight forward--he does not get caught up in the "science" of pitching--if you know what I mean--and focuses on three basic drills. Those three drills and the student "playing catch with themselves" will do wonders if you practice consistently. Once we got a pretty strong foundation with the Hillhouse approach, we benefitted greatly from the somewhat more technical approach of Rick Pauly. Again, they are fundamentally teaching the same things. In my view, you want to maximize the time when you are practicing. Don't "major in the minors" or try to do 15 different drills. Focus on those things that provide the greatest return on investment. For example, as you get started with the transition, you could spend a bunch of time focused on her drive off the rubber. This is certainly important, but as Rick Pauly has noted, a mechanically sound pitcher should be able to generate about 90% of her top speed from just the Power K position--so focusing on arm path, arm whip, and brush interference is a much better investment of your time, at least until you get the basic mechanics sorted out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eb7598