IR Routine for beginners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 17, 2019
I’ve read through the IR stickies, and would like to try this with my DD. She is currently HE. Zero IR. Is there a routine recommended to convert? In other words, what progression of drills need to be done? I’m overwhelmed will all of this new information. I was hoping someone had a solid workout routine that is successful with IR newbies. I watched the Balswick videos on BI. Is this a good place to start—with BI, that is?

Nov 8, 2018
I’ve read through the IR stickies, and would like to try this with my DD. She is currently HE. Zero IR. Is there a routine recommended to convert? In other words, what progression of drills need to be done? I’m overwhelmed will all of this new information. I was hoping someone had a solid workout routine that is successful with IR newbies. I watched the Balswick videos on BI. Is this a good place to start—with BI, that is?

Heck yeah. Balswick is the man.
Check out @javasource stuff too.
Rick Pauly as well.
All these guys show the same tech. Some with different drills etc. Study them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 20, 2017

Apr 12, 2015
The ideal beginners routine is located here:

From starting with "Lock it", through magician and show it-throw, to full motion.

Don't worry about pitching with IR. That will come. Instead, learn how to throw underhand properly.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
The ideal beginners routine is located here:

From starting with "Lock it", through magician and show it-throw, to full motion.

Don't worry about pitching with IR. That will come. Instead, learn how to throw underhand properly.

This./\/\/\/\

In case you missed it. \/\/\/\/

Read posts 1, 2, 10 and 12. Repeat

Sep 19, 2018
And right here if you like video's better than reading. I found it bery helpful.

MY DD goes to a tincher. Her coach has never had her do these drills. She started with the finishing palm down. I've heard from other tincher fathers that that their dd have not done these drill either. I am GUESSING (I have never specifically asked), that the believe is that the IR will happen naturally if you put the body in the correct positions.

Aug 17, 2019
Thanks for the replies. We started with Balswick/Java videos of anchoring/locking the elbow in and throwing into the glove. She did about 750 reps today, with me videoing to make sure it was done properly. We tried throwing a little football like in a Java video, but she couldn’t ever get a tight spiral.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around everything.

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for the replies. We started with Balswick/Java videos of anchoring/locking the elbow in and throwing into the glove. She did about 750 reps today, with me videoing to make sure it was done properly. We tried throwing a little football like in a Java video, but she couldn’t ever get a tight spiral.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around everything.

Don’t worry about a right spiral. Just lead with the pinky and ir on release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 17, 2019
I put a post on a fastpitch Facebook page and another fastpitch forum for my state (Oklahoma) ISO for either Tincher or IR coaching. So far, zero responses. I don’t think people 1. Know what it’s called, 2. Don’t know how to teach it to kids who don’t do it naturally. We may be on our own. We have this great forum, but it would help to have a person teaching her face to face, every now and then.

I definitely know her problem is elbow whip. She’s straight all the way to release. I videoed myself one evening to see what I did, out of curiosity. I naturally IR. I have no experience, so it was ugly, but definitely IR. The straight arm, all the way around the circle felt weird. To bad her old PC didn’t fix her arm from the get go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802