IR Routine for beginners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks! We found someone in OKC, but unfortunately I think she’s trying to teach ball down, when it’s supposed to be palm up/ball up. We’ve only gone twice so far. I asked if palm should be up once and she said no, it’s palm down. I told my DD to do palm up unless the PC starts noticing and saying something. We are contemplating just giving up on pitching, because I can’t teach my DD. I just don’t know the skill enough. The PC teaches a lot of the right things, but apparently not palm up.
Mom, please don't quit pitching if your DD is passionate about it and wants to continue. There is more than one way to skin a cat. There are pitchers that are successful with palm down. They may not be in the CWS but then again, who in heck really is other than some freaks of nature? If your DD wants to enjoy the sport by being a pitcher, let her enjoy it and let the PC's teach her their way. She can have a fine High school career and even small college (if she desires) by using palm down. It's not the death sentence to pitcher's that some would have you believe. It might limit their ceiling but it does NOT mean that they cannot be a pitcher altogether.

Aug 17, 2019
Mom, please don't quit pitching if your DD is passionate about it and wants to continue. There is more than one way to skin a cat. There are pitchers that are successful with palm down. They may not be in the CWS but then again, who in heck really is other than some freaks of nature? If your DD wants to enjoy the sport by being a pitcher, let her enjoy it and let the PC's teach her their way. She can have a fine High school career and even small college (if she desires) by using palm down. It's not the death sentence to pitcher's that some would have you believe. It might limit their ceiling but it does NOT mean that they cannot be a pitcher altogether.
Thanks for the encouragement. We had a good, long discussion about pitching. She wants to do it to help her team next year, due to them not having a pitcher. DD has experience but since we are changing a few things, she has limitations. She said if someone better came along and took her spot on the mound, she’d be ok with that. She loves softball. She really enjoys playing 3rd base. So, she’s going to stick with the pitching as long as the team needs her. She has committed to working on it in the offseason and doing her part to get better. I don’t look forward to the grind, but I like her attitude about the situation. She had struggled in that department lately. I guess time will tell.

Oct 6, 2019
My DD started learning IR. I am confused about accuracy of IR. With traditional methods, the ball direction is controlled by the release plane, the place in front of hip. With IR, the body is facing 3B. How to control ball direction with whip?

Sep 19, 2018
I am going to plus 1 on this. I am taking my dd to a tincher, but I can think of several successful palm down pitchers. 1 going to pitch at Cornell U (whats better than that), and another who led her 14U team to the LL world series this past spring. Again, I believe in IR but it is entirely possible that a good HE coach will be better than mom or dad attempting to teach IR

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks for the encouragement. We had a good, long discussion about pitching. She wants to do it to help her team next year, due to them not having a pitcher. DD has experience but since we are changing a few things, she has limitations. She said if someone better came along and took her spot on the mound, she’d be ok with that. She loves softball. She really enjoys playing 3rd base. So, she’s going to stick with the pitching as long as the team needs her. She has committed to working on it in the offseason and doing her part to get better. I don’t look forward to the grind, but I like her attitude about the situation. She had struggled in that department lately. I guess time will tell.
Sounds like your DD wants to pitch but doesn't necessarily feel the overwhelming need to make the 2028 Olympic team as a pitcher. Good for her and even more reason to let her learn the methods that the local PC's teach even though they may not be the methods of a Tier 1 CWS pitcher. Nothing wrong with doing something that may not be the absolute best method if you just want to be effective and have fun as opposed to trying to ascend to the top of the pitching world and dominate. She can be plenty effective with palm down. She can throw strikes and throw quality pitches that give her team a chance to succeed. At the end of the day, that's all she really needs to do to make it worthwhile.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom