IR Pitching Instructors in Southern NJ / Philadelphia PA Region

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 22, 2019
Taking this a bit personally, aren't you? Good for the two commits. I wish them nothing but the best of luck. I simply pointed out how they hype up their numbers with their running start. I don't think that's realistic. Even Juarez from OU said she doesn't throw 67-68 in games. She said it's maybe 65. Do you really think a 10th-grade girl can throw 67 in a game and actually throw strikes? Be realistic. The top-ranked 2024 pitcher in the country throws 63-64 in games.

My guess is you’ve never been to them, but don’t recommend them because a lot of girls from the “bad organization” go there.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Ask yourself this question: Do you think the three you mentioned would have done great things with any other good quality instructor or was it only their instruction that made them that good? I know how the Nebraska commit did it. She was tenacious with her recruiting efforts and it paid off. Great job by her. The Chaos pitcher is special and will do great things. As for the Newtown girl going to Purdue, again, great job, and best of luck.

Actually, we attended a clinic they gave a few years back. They seemed knowledgeable and caring about the girls, which is important. But, I come back to the run-through thing they do. Ask yourself what exactly does that do for the pitcher? MLB outfielders regularly throw over 100 MPH on throws to the plate or bases. Why is that? Because they are getting a running start. Do you think they throw that hard if they threw from a pitching mound? The answer is no.

As for who throws strikes, go look it up. All their teams GC stats are public.

Nov 22, 2019
Never in any private or 2-person lesson has my daughter done those run throughs. I think during speed training season they do it during group sessions for a few minutes.

After a year, my DD went to her first group lesson this January and did them. A week later her full motion speed suddenly jumped up 2MPH. Coincidence, who knows.

I have no idea how long AF has gone to them, nor do I know her. But she seems like your biggest point of contention.

I do know when we went in there a year ago last December at 10u they said they’d get my daughter throwing 50mph by summer. She was at 42mph at the time, and was like I’ll see it when I believe it. She’s not a big, athletic girl, but they had her throwing 50mph by summer.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The person you mention is a great kid from a great family. I have no contention with her. She's a really strong girl who struggles to throw strikes. I don't blame the trainers for that.

We have a local girl near me who throws 61-62 in games, but she gets hit hard every game because she is very flat and walks a ton of batters. Every trainer thinks they can fix her, but the truth is she hasn't proven she can yet and probably won't. I know it's harsh to say that about a 2023, but she's been that way for years. She's been to several trainers here, including a Tincher one, and the results are always the same. She just changed teams to the Batbusters because she wants to play down south. I am sure someone will take a chance on her because of her speed, but I don't see it getting straightened out.

I know it seemed contentious, but I really wish everyone's kids the best.

May 27, 2013
I honestly would recommend to ask around. There are definitely great PC in that area - but some charge more than double the price of others which can be very, very difficult for many players/families to afford or justify. Track records among the ones I know are very similar, one probably being the best I’ve seen in recent years. Two Gatorade POY, many past, present, and committed college pitchers, several HS conference and state champions. Feel free to PM me and I’ll provide contact info.

ETA: I do agree with some of the names mentioned In this thread as being good coaches.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
I just got a text from a parent in the area looking for a Pitching Coach. His DD is 12. He sent me this link as I have been off this board for a while. I will share our experience. The names posted in this thread are all great pitching coaches. Jen at Blackcat is an excellent coach, one who not only coaches but did it herself in the circle and was a flat out star. I do think the runs throughs are a little much but that's her technique and who's to say it doesn't help speed. I can tell you from real life experience that someone who throws 67 and can't hit a target through a telescope won't last in D1. Check gamechanger stats as it's been suggested. I know when my DD over throws to hit her highest speed her ball flattens out and she gets hit. All the talk about speed is kinda foolish, but getting girls out.. that's the real goal.

My DD was trained by Alex and for a time Jen and we loved them both. You won't find better young women to mentor your DD. Her sophomore year at Chaos she began to take lessons from a coach who's DD is now in the SEC....how can you turn that down. Her Junior year that great coach took time off and we had to find a new coach for DD. We found Joe Fergusson and him and DD immediately hit it off. I could see after one lesson why he had a Gatorade player of the year in his barn. He took DD's motion apart in a non threatening way and turned her into a great pitcher who went on to lead her team to their goal of a state championship and she was later awarded GPOTY. DD is a crazy hard worker but I can tell you Joe is the biggest reason for her success.

One final note, DD had her fall season pitching in college and did well. She came back from break and I noticed her whip was off and her speed was down. We headed over to see Joe. He saw it too and instead of confronting her about it he asked her if she was doing a lot of long toss at school. She replied "Yes". He let her throw a few more pitches and said "We had a young girl in this morning who finished elbow up." I want to show her a video of a good whip. Can you show me a good whip. Immediately DD fixed her whip and her speed came right back. That's a great coach... I would have said to her "your whip is messed up" and confronted her. He took a different approach and it clicked. Can't recommend him enough.

Nov 22, 2019
Jan 11, 2023
We live down here in BC Canada .
Jen comes down here and has done clinics with us and our current coach . We have nothing but great things to say ! DD is faster and has confidence in her spin progressions as well. Jen is not just selling speed imho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802