IR pitching coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 8, 2017
NEO is Northeastern Ohio. Sorry for that.
I did start to work with her a bout a month ago. It has already shown improvement. But there are a couple of issues. 1) it is hard for me to pick up on the nuances while catching. 2) I see several flaws in her pitch according to this site but have not found solid advice on drills to do in order to correct those flaws.
During almost all of her static drills we get a decent amount of iR still lacking any brush. Once we go to full pitching it is right back to HE.
Some major flaws I see from an untrained eye.
Soft front leg, timing and release is late - well past the hip leg, her arm circle is out in front of her not allowing for proper IR or brush, and when the circle is good she moves her hip waist out of the way to clear so there is no contact with the elbow and the body at all.

Don't catch her, but have her throw into a tarp from close distance. By throwing into a tarp, she'll no longer focus on result, but rather the process that gets her there. Stand to the side of her to watch, use your phone and film in slow motion to help capture the movements too quick for your eyes. After your session, break down the footage and focus on the most glaring flaw that needs to be fixed. Work on that issue, and only that issue until she's comfortable with it and it's no longer an issue. From there, find the next fix, rinse and repeat.

As for drills to fix flaws, I think just shortening the pitching motion seems to make it easier. Don't do the full motion, but just have her throw from k position or even just short flips getting brush contact (which we call 9:00 and 12:00).

Eventually you'll find the right PC, but for now, you'll have to make due the best you can. The great thing about this site, if you get hung up and can't figure out what to work on, post a video here, there's definitely plenty of IR coaches here who'll help ya for free.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Double,

If you want to go with Tincher, be my guest. But I live in Erie PA, depending on where you are I'm anywhere from 40-80 miles from NEO. I used to do lessons there in Willoughby/Mentor area but that dropped off a few years ago when the building got sold. Do you have a building to use? How many girls are looking or are you just looking for your daughter?

I know there's 100 coaches in NEO. Choose wisely. Do your homework. A lot of people don't even realize they are teaching HE, most don't know what "IR" is. So asking someone if they teach "HE" might get you the answer of NO but their actions will counter that.

Bill

Apr 7, 2014
[MENTION=674]Hillhouse[/MENTION], Thank you for the response. It's actually your videos that started me questioning what was being taught. We do have a facility and at minimum there are at least 4 girls from 11u to 16u looking for an IR coach.

Apr 7, 2014
Don't catch her, but have her throw into a tarp from close distance. By throwing into a tarp, she'll no longer focus on result, but rather the process that gets her there. Stand to the side of her to watch, use your phone and film in slow motion to help capture the movements too quick for your eyes. After your session, break down the footage and focus on the most glaring flaw that needs to be fixed. Work on that issue, and only that issue until she's comfortable with it and it's no longer an issue. From there, find the next fix, rinse and repeat.

As for drills to fix flaws, I think just shortening the pitching motion seems to make it easier. Don't do the full motion, but just have her throw from k position or even just short flips getting brush contact (which we call 9:00 and 12:00).

Eventually you'll find the right PC, but for now, you'll have to make due the best you can. The great thing about this site, if you get hung up and can't figure out what to work on, post a video here, there's definitely plenty of IR coaches here who'll help ya for free.

Thank you. That's sound advice.

Apr 7, 2014
Absolutely thank you so much for the responses. We are going to contact a couple of the instructors and see what fits best. We have some quality pitchers in our area and I would love to see them all get proper instruction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28