IR Pitching Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
My daughter had her first lesson last night and I must say the information the coach had just about the differences in the female body and why I/R mechanics are more suitable for female body types was extremely interesting. My daughter loved the coach and can't wait to go back.

Did you go to MacLean at 7 Deadly Spins?

Dec 27, 2014
My daughter had her first lesson last night and I must say the information the coach had just about the differences in the female body and why I/R mechanics are more suitable for female body types was extremely interesting. My daughter loved the coach and can't wait to go back.
I know you are new to this coach, but I would be interested if they address brushing or rolling the forearm through the hip? Or, any other Tincher certified instructor students can chime in? Just curious if this is addressed? At the 14:30 mark of this video below Tincher is pretty adamant that he does not want the forearm to hit the hip. I love the way he breaks down the motion but am curious if there is another cue he uses for this?

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
New PC coach here in WA state, sounds like she's going right off the I/R stickies - and the girls really love her. She's the real deal - D1, Pro, and young enough that she gets the girls and what they're going through. I really love watching her work. Her younger sister is also a D1 pitcher. DD thinks she's awesome.

Anna Miller - she's on LinkedIn.

Mar 7, 2012
PA
[MENTION=13915]Snotbubbles[/MENTION] Mind sharing where you went? I've been looking for a decent IR coach in the Philly area.

Oct 16, 2014
I know you are new to this coach, but I would be interested if they address brushing or rolling the forearm through the hip? Or, any other Tincher certified instructor students can chime in? Just curious if this is addressed? At the 14:30 mark of this video below Tincher is pretty adamant that he does not want the forearm to hit the hip. I love the way he breaks down the motion but am curious if there is another cue he uses for this?

My DD is a Tincher pitcher. I can say that they (Denny and her certified coach) have not taught her to brush. Nor have I seen it be instructed to any other pitcher we've been with in clinics. I WILL say that some of the girls do though. My daughter included. And he's never told her NOT to brush either. And it's obvious she does it, you can hear it. What he teaches is inner rotation with the arm "whipping" at release. ball facing back of your head at top of circle and bring the elbow down, once elbow is next to hip then rotate the arm over and create a whip. Some girls get their hips out of the way and it's a straight whipping action with no brush contact. My DD naturally brushes. It's something she developed doing on her own once she learned IR. And I think it's a natural consequence of IR if you haven't been instructed to avoid your hip. DD has crazy control and accuracy for a 10 year old and I think it's because she brushes. I've shown her the super slow Amanda Scarborough pitching video, emphasis on when Amanda brushes and then releases the ball. And DD just looks at me like "yeah? That's how I do it." LOL. Now just need to work on her speed.

I think in this video, and when Denny talks about not making contact with the hip he doesn't really mean brushing, he means like actually hitting the arm into the hip or thigh because of bad mechanics, but I could be wrong ( I just watched that of the video you linked and when DD brushes her arm doesn't even get pink or bothered at all so there isn't any damage being done, thats why I think he actually means "hitting"). At some point I'm sure it will come up with Denny or her private coach, but it's been a year and they've not mentioned it yet. I guess I'll have to keep you all posted it it does. Because I have no intention of making her stop

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Interesting to here you repeat what I've always said regarding brush. Proper posture and I/R mechanics don't require teaching someone to brush. It's a result not a cause.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802