IR Method?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 11, 2019
@Ken B gives some excellent advice.

IR is *NOT* crazy. IR is used in baseball pitching, golf, ping pong, tennis players, shot put, javelin, etc.

The IR (internation rotation) of the forearm is the fastest movement the human body can make after blinking. So, of course, any human being, when tasked with throwing something fast, will do it...*UNLESS* someone comes along and changes her.

Find a different pitching coach. (They don't necessarily use the term "IR".)

If you can't find someone close, then make arrangements for one hour pitching lessons once a month where someone does teach IR.
And I also think Ken. Bs advice is excellent

Nov 11, 2019
I do have a question about it. My daughter learned that you open your hips then slam them shut. With the IR method do you still close all the way with belt buckle straight to home?

Apr 17, 2019
I do have a question about it. My daughter learned that you open your hips then slam them shut. With the IR method do you still close all the way with belt buckle straight to home?
Nope, hips somewhere in the vicinity of 45deg to the powerline. Want to be stable at release, not moving the hips around.
Edit: After release, it will be natural for the momentum to carry you a little bit forward to facing the plate..... after release, and it's not forced, just the body's natural followthrough motion.

Nov 11, 2019
Thank you Gerts. Was watching videos from her practice last night and that’s where her hips were. Definetly could see the tucked elbow and whip. Thought if hips closed all the way, the elbow and whip wouldn’t be the same. Mind you, she isn’t taught this way, but she naturally pitches that way. Think her PC just lets her roll with it. Kudos to you guys to enlighten me on this.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I'm generally not comfortable with opening and slamming. More often than not, it creates posture and muscling effort. With VERY few exceptions, I prefer and effort to drive out towards the target--often with a focus on staying square/facing forward--but allowing extension to open the torso naturally. As the arms and legs come back into the body going into the release, the torso closes naturally into plant.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2