IR Method?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
The devil went down to Georgia he was lookin' for an arm whip to steal
He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind
And he was teaching wrist snaps to make the deal
When the devil finished, Jane said "well you're pretty good, old son
But sit down in that chair right there and let me show you how the IR/BI is done"

Fire on the mountain, run girl run
The devil's in the house of the rising sun
Chicken in the bread pan pickin' out dough
Granny does your dog bite, no child no

Nov 11, 2019
This is the part of softball that really has my brain confused. DD is 12 and has been with a pc for about a year. Pc is a D1 HOF pitcher 20 yrs ago. I have a feeling she is pitching HE. Hand behind ball, open hips, slam them shut and snap to finish. Ken Ks post at the beginning of this thread is what makes me think we could be learning wrong.

Apr 17, 2019
This is the part of softball that really has my brain confused. DD is 12 and has been with a pc for about a year. Pc is a D1 HOF pitcher 20 yrs ago. I have a feeling she is pitching HE. Hand behind ball, open hips, slam them shut and snap to finish. Ken Ks post at the beginning of this thread is what makes me think we could be learning wrong.
That's 100% HE.
I confess, I used to teach HE. I came to I/R because I couldn't figure out how to teach my 8/10u girls control. It takes thousands of reps before you can get any kind of muscle memory locked in HE style. I/R is 5000% easier to teach young kids, once you get the idea out of them that they need to guide the ball in.

I'll now go do my penance. I think 10 Our Fathers and 1 Hail Mary per child I taught HE to.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
If you lock your upper arm to your side

Great post Ken B. I think this is often overlooked. Upper arm, elbow, lower arm are all connected. Upper arm IMO is often overlooked and the "locking" at the side which is caused by "adduction" the most powerful move you can make (just quoted @BoardMember adduction video quote I think :ROFLMAO: ) can be a miss. I think if one understands "adduction" and that movement first then IR presents itself almost on its own.

Great post @kenballard74

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
That's 100% HE.
I confess, I used to teach HE. I came to I/R because I couldn't figure out how to teach my 8/10u girls control. It takes thousands of reps before you can get any kind of muscle memory locked in HE style. I/R is 5000% easier to teach young kids, once you get the idea out of them that they need to guide the ball in.

I'll now go do my penance. I think 10 Our Fathers and 1 Hail Mary per child I taught HE to.

All advanced pitchers do IR. Watch videos of Jenny Finch during a game, and she does IR.

A number of pitchers (like Amanda Scarborough) do a fakey HE....the do IR, complete with the turn over of the hand, and then pull the arm up into an L. My DD also did a fakey.

Many years ago, when my DD was 15 YOA or so, she was being taught HE. She kept flipping her hand over. I used to try to correct her. one day, I just stopped and thought, "It is not worth it," and stopped correcting her.

A few years later, she was pitching against Illinois, Purdue, Texas Tech and Missouri.

Nov 11, 2019
All advanced pitchers do IR. Watch videos of Jenny Finch during a game, and she does IR.

A number of pitchers (like Amanda Scarborough) do a fakey HE....the do IR, complete with the turn over of the hand, and then pull the arm up into an L. My DD also did a fakey.

Many years ago, when my DD was 15 YOA or so, she was being taught HE. She kept flipping her hand over. I used to try to correct her. one day, I just stopped and thought, "It is not worth it," and stopped correcting her.

A few years later, she was pitching against Illinois, Purdue, Texas Tech and Missouri.
I was just getting re

crazy thing is my DD does the same. I thought it was because she learned a change up to early but she pitches so much better that way. How should I proceed from here. I’m not sure we have any PCs that teach that in my area, but I will be checking into it.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW

I can't tell you how many great pitchers have no idea of what they do in reality. So often some of these greats are seen teaching HE, wall drills, wrist snaps, hockey pucks--then when you watch them demo in full motion, they don't do any of the things they teach. I still recommend spending time with some of these folks because they can teach aspects of being a great athlete and competitor in a way folks like me can't. My girls don't look up to me the same way they look up to a HOFer or WCWS pitcher.

Lacey Waldrop is a rare gem who is really taking the time to study and improve her instruction. Really good stuff!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
@Ken B gives some excellent advice.

crazy thing is my DD does the same. I thought it was because she learned a change up to early but she pitches so much better that way.

IR is *NOT* crazy. IR is used in baseball pitching, golf, ping pong, tennis players, shot put, javelin, etc.

The IR (internation rotation) of the forearm is the fastest movement the human body can make after blinking. So, of course, any human being, when tasked with throwing something fast, will do it...*UNLESS* someone comes along and changes her.

How should I proceed from here.

Find a different pitching coach. (They don't necessarily use the term "IR".)

If you can't find someone close, then make arrangements for one hour pitching lessons once a month where someone does teach IR.

Nov 11, 2019
L
@Ken B gives some excellent advice.

IR is *NOT* crazy. IR is used in baseball pitching, golf, ping pong, tennis players, shot put, javelin, etc.

The IR (internation rotation) of the forearm is the fastest movement the human body can make after blinking. So, of course, any human being, when tasked with throwing something fast, will do it...*UNLESS* someone comes along and changes her.

Find a different pitching coach. (They don't necessarily use the term "IR".)

If you can't find someone close, then make arrangements for one hour pitching lessons once a month where someone does teach IR.
i definetly don’t think it’s crazy. I think it’s crazy that she naturally wants to do it while I’ve been trying to fix it. I talked to her about it and she is interested. I am starting to see the difference just from this discussion.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28