iphone, camera/video and blast sensor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

jjr

Jun 13, 2017
Buy it on Amazon it's cheaper.
I can't thank you enough for going in depth on this thread about it. We just got it so I may be just a little excited about it without any actual results yet, lol.

She did about 10 swings last night. For whatever reason, it took forever to download onto my phone. So I wasn't able to attach it before she went off to practice. When she got home is when she did the 10 swings.

Honestly, just seeing what I'm seeing (I also paid for the subscription), and her seeing it herself put a lightbulb in her head about her swing because she knows the path the bat is supposed to travel and she wasn't doing that AT ALL (she claims it was cold and dark so we'll see tonight when I get home). I'm hoping I can get the app installed on her phone today, so that way she can work off the tee without us there and see the data herself and work on what she needs to work on.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I can't thank you enough for going in depth on this thread about it. We just got it so I may be just a little excited about it without any actual results yet, lol.

She did about 10 swings last night. For whatever reason, it took forever to download onto my phone. So I wasn't able to attach it before she went off to practice. When she got home is when she did the 10 swings.

Honestly, just seeing what I'm seeing (I also paid for the subscription), and her seeing it herself put a lightbulb in her head about her swing because she knows the path the bat is supposed to travel and she wasn't doing that AT ALL (she claims it was cold and dark so we'll see tonight when I get home). I'm hoping I can get the app installed on her phone today, so that way she can work off the tee without us there and see the data herself and work on what she needs to work on.

Glad to hear you paid for the subscription, it really unlocks the sensor/app to it's full potential. Yes the swing plane (on plane efficiency) and the early connection and impact connection all work together to map out the swing path. As it says in the app, you take the vertical bat angle at impact and work backwards to tell you how long the barrel was on plane.

It really is a great tool once yo get familiar with the sensor/app.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I tried the Blast sensor while hitting into a heavy bag. It worked very well and it's something I'm going to do with my students.

You can't do dry swings and record the metrics of the swing while using Blast sensor. It needs to pick up contact with anything (creating a vibration). Hitting into a heavy bag is like dry swings, where your really not focused on making contact with a ball. So you are just working on the swing and form.

For dry swings I have a low tech device Swing Blaster that measures bat speed with and audible click.

You could say hitting into a heavy bag and taking dry swings is like backwards chaining. Your taken making contact with a ball and replaced it with just working on swinging a bat.

I think the heavy bag is better then stop swings. You just let the bag absorb the bats energy. Stop swings are good too, but I think the heavy bag is a even better tool.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802