iphone, camera/video and blast sensor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
fanboi22,

I have looked at video and played with advancing it forward and backwards to see the metrics change. It is cool to see the metrics at any point in the swing.

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
fanboi22,

There is no blast factor in the new app. Do you have all the metrics unlocked? I think you have to have everything unlocked to do ball flight metrics.

I did not know there wasn’t a blast factor. It was a combo of a few other metrics anyway I am sure I can just make up a new combo and call it my own name. Haha.

I have not tried the new app yet so I don’t believe I have everything unlocked. Will have to check.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I have had it for about a year or so. We joined an org and linked it to their group, but since then it seems more difficult to use and read. I mainly use it for video and to see patterns. You really need to break it down into sessions so that all swings are not lumped together. I dont but should.

Many of DD's metrics are above the standard for her age but two that are always low are vertical bat angle and on plane efficiency. Bat speed is always way above but hand speed is usually low. She doesnt have a pretty swing so this may explain it LOL. She is working with Soriano and it has def got better!

To be fair, this session was a 45 min lesson so there were MANY different types of swings. half, full, tee, front toss, side toss, all working on different things.

Attachments

• IMG_7387.jpg
    IMG_7387.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7389.jpg
    IMG_7389.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019
Are you guys using iOS or Android for blast?

My experience on Android has been less than stellar.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
iOS here as well. The videos as Shawn have mentioned are great at 240fps. As long as you have enough lighting if inside.

That's the reason I bought the iphone was I needed a new camera. It's video capabilities are awesome and I really like the phone. I will never go without a iphone again. On the spot video analysis is the only way to go. The only smart phone I had before was a cheap LG phone. I'm hooked on iphone as long as the camera capabilities stay the same.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I have had it for about a year or so. We joined an org and linked it to their group, but since then it seems more difficult to use and read. I mainly use it for video and to see patterns. You really need to break it down into sessions so that all swings are not lumped together. I dont but should.

Many of DD's metrics are above the standard for her age but two that are always low are vertical bat angle and on plane efficiency. Bat speed is always way above but hand speed is usually low. She doesnt have a pretty swing so this may explain it LOL. She is working with Soriano and it has def got better!

To be fair, this session was a 45 min lesson so there were MANY different types of swings. half, full, tee, front toss, side toss, all working on different things.

Vertical bat position sets up the On plan efficiency. The sensor/program takes your bat position at impact and works backwards to come up with how well the barrel was on plane with your bat position at contact. The swing planes are infinite, although On plane efficiency is how well you were on plane with the bat position at contact (they work backwards from contact).

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Vertical bat position sets up the On plan efficiency. The sensor/program takes your bat position at impact and works backwards to come up with how well the barrel was on plane with your bat position at contact. The swing planes are infinite, although On plane efficiency is how well you were on plane with the bat position at contact (they work backwards from contact).
I haven't yet gotten in a session with DD yet, but was reviewing the metrics on the new app. The on plane efficiency is a question for me. i will have to get some sample swings and see. I am just curious if a neck slot swing inherently has more efficiency than a Babe Ruth style tip and rip. We always talk about getting the barrel up to speed fast, and i have always thought of that with some type of hand torque, but curious if we will find that this equates to a lower on plane number. And if so does it matter. Maybe the bat speed and rotational values then are more important. Curious your thoughts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812