Intimidation Unsportsmanlike Disqualification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2017
So tonite blue gave a warning to my DD pitcher that her mannerism are unsportsmanlike and intimidating to the opposing team in her role as a pitcher....and he threatened that she would be disqualified if she didn't refrain. Here is her crime. When she has a runner on 1st, 2nd or 3rd, upon receiving the throw back from her catcher, she snaps her glove hand up with the catch and stares the runner down as she walks back to the circle. Then gets ready for her next delivery. She has been pitching since 8U is now 16U and has done this for as long as I can remember. It is just her thing. I was shocked when she came into the dugout to share what blue had told her. Never on our radar screen that this is even close to intimidation or unsportsmanlike.. And no one has ever complained to this effect, it seemed that the only one being a snowflake was blue.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
without a video it would is hard to comment. Any chance of finding a D1 video that replicates what your DD did? I only say D1 because there is alot more video from D1 out there. Any college division would work unless you have video of the actual "crime" and that would be good as well.

Feb 25, 2018
Video would be helpful.

Rule sets and codes of conduct do have sections on unsportsmanlike conduct and derogatory actions.
Judgement call.

Oct 26, 2019
I don’t know any rule that would say it is wrong, but what is the point of it. It seems like wasted energy to me. I don’t see the purpose it serves unless it is supposed to be intimidation to the runner in which case it sounds like the ump got it right. (Assuming that is an actual rule).

Just my opinion and not meant as a critique.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If it’s exactly what the OP posted. I don’t see it as a violation. I see all sorts of oddball things happen in women’s sports. As the girl athlete doesn’t fit the adults vision for ladylike behavior. Behaviors that the boy athlete is praised for. A boy would be called fiery snd
Competitive while a girl might get a warning like this.
I once asked a coach if he told his son’s team to smile more when they play? He looked at me like I had a third eye. No, then dont tell the girls.

May 6, 2015
Seems to me to be part of the game. as a coach I would tell the blue she is going to go right on doing what she is doing (unless of course she is actually growling, knashing teeth, ie something you left out) unless the blue declares that he is changing look back rule to no changes of directions and it applies anytime the P has the ball anywhere. she has a routine that servies her well in denying extra bases through carelessness, it works for her, no reason to change.

"stares down" is a matter of interpretation, you could also say "observes intently"

Jun 8, 2016
It doesn't sound like something she should be tossed for but if I was the kid she was staring down I would probably do something like this

474zmdD.gif

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
This is normal pitcher behavior IMO, and it exudes confidence. I've had a couple of pitchers over the years that did the same thing and I loved it. My DD (catcher) would snap the ball back to the pitcher with velocity and quickness. The pitcher better be ready. It's something that she learned to do and was expected. DD's college pitcher thought DD was upset when she snapped the ball back to her. She had to explain, that this is what she does ,and at the same time this pitcher would catch the ball and flip the glove up a bit with confidence, she would stare down the base runners as well. It was a thing of beauty. Not too many Steal attempts last spring.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
intimidating perhaps and if so its working!

ASSERTIVE !
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28