Intimidation Unsportsmanlike Disqualification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2019
Some chants are unsportsmanlike and should be banned... the rest are annoying and should be banned.

OMG, YES!!!
I don't usually hear them past 12U, and I do very few games at that level any more - so it's not as much of a problem for me as it used to be. But when I do, the first time I hear it, I shut it right down. Unless it's getting out of hand, I will wait until the inning ends, get both coaches together and tell them that their kids can root for their own team as much as they want, but chants against the other team are out of line and have no place here. They almost never say a word in response, and I seldom hear it again at the same game. When I'm doing a tournament and hear it in one game, I bring it up at ground rules for the next game.

My all time most hated? The stolen base chant (usually after a wild pitch, which isn't a stolen base . But why quibble when there's a chance to tease a 10, 11 or 12 y/o girl who's struggling to throw a strike?) I'll skip the first part and go straight to the "and you let her have it, and that's a dirty habit, neener neener neener, Oscar Meyer weiner!"

Thanks for getting me started, Big Daddy. But I couldn't agree more with your quote!

Mar 28, 2017
If you are an ump I certainly hope you don’t enforce rules based on your perception of personality. “Well coach if she spun less aggressively the LBR is still in place. But by the look on her face I ruled she was making a play”

the runner has to make a decision. Go or return, your suggestion is pitchers should look the other way and ignore them, and let them make that decision without watching to see which way the runner decides to go?

To clarify, Blue was threatening to disqualify my DD for unsportsmanlike conduct, based on his judgement of how she was looking "staring" at the runner on 3rd as she walked back to the circle with the ball post pitch. The look back rule was not the rule on the table.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood