Intimidation Unsportsmanlike Disqualification

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
How? Just looking at the runner isn’t making a play. Or is it looking at the runner with intent to intimidate?
It’s bad enough the ump was making up a rule we certainly don’t need to justify it by making up another one.

Not a made up rule:

USA Rules Supplement 34, J, page 138:

"While in the circle and in possession of the ball, any act by the pitcher that, in the umpire's judgment, causes the runner to react is considered making a play."

Feb 25, 2018
I believe Rick M mentioned his daughter making an aggressive spin towards the runner once she had the ball.

Look back rule is off for me at that point. Other umpires may disagree.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Not a made up rule:

USA Rules Supplement 34, J, page 138:

"While in the circle and in possession of the ball, any act by the pitcher that, in the umpire's judgment, causes the runner to react is considered making a play."
Looking at them? Come on. Show me that one in the book.

Feb 25, 2018
Looking at them? Come on. Show me that one in the book.

I responded to Rick M stating that his DD aggressively spins around to face base runners.
His contention is that since she doesn't raise the ball the look back rule is still in play.
That's not necessarily the case. It's a judgment call.
In my judgement, a pitcher doing that is making a play on the runner.

If a pitcher wants to keep the look back rule in play and remove as much subjective judgment as possible, they should ignore the base runners completely.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I responded to Rick M stating that his DD aggressively spins around to face base runners.
His contention is that since she doesn't raise the ball the look back rule is still in play.
That's not necessarily the case. It's a judgment call.
In my judgement, a pitcher doing that is making a play on the runner.

If a pitcher wants to keep the look back rule in play and remove as much subjective judgment as possible, they should ignore the base runners completely.
If you are an ump I certainly hope you don’t enforce rules based on your perception of personality. “Well coach if she spun less aggressively the LBR is still in place. But by the look on her face I ruled she was making a play”

the runner has to make a decision. Go or return, your suggestion is pitchers should look the other way and ignore them, and let them make that decision without watching to see which way the runner decides to go?

Nov 8, 2018
So tonite blue gave a warning to my DD pitcher that her mannerism are unsportsmanlike and intimidating to the opposing team in her role as a pitcher....and he threatened that she would be disqualified if she didn't refrain. Here is her crime. When she has a runner on 1st, 2nd or 3rd, upon receiving the throw back from her catcher, she snaps her glove hand up with the catch and stares the runner down as she walks back to the circle. Then gets ready for her next delivery. She has been pitching since 8U is now 16U and has done this for as long as I can remember. It is just her thing. I was shocked when she came into the dugout to share what blue had told her. Never on our radar screen that this is even close to intimidation or unsportsmanlike.. And no one has ever complained to this effect, it seemed that the only one being a snowflake was blue.

It appears to be a one off thing. I wouldn’t spend any time analyzing it unless it happens again. Let her do her thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802