Internal Rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Wow, after reading this a few times, I have second thoughts about my daughter's PC. He is teaching the "hello elbow" style. Keeping the wrist back until snap. I would like to try this out, she is 9 and has only been to about 8 lessons. I guess now is as good of a time as any to switch. I just dont want to confuse her. It sure seems the IR is FAR SIMPLER and has more potential. Any recomended coaches in Souther/Southeastern Indiana??

Trust me not even a decision. There is no other way. ALL quality pitchers do this. Sometimes they finish with HELLO ELBOW but only because they were taught that and only because they discovered IR naturally on their own. Teach her IR yourself. Then when you find your PC she will already have this critical/natural mechanic.

Feb 20, 2012
sorry, I am new to this forum.

Looks like your pitcher is snapping sideways which is what Hollowel is doing for her turnover drop. Hollowel is not really throwing a peel but looks to be a turnover. A pitcher that snaps sideways cannot throw a fast drop.

JJ

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2012
I see Hollowel throwing a turnover drop and not a peel. Her drop looks like it goes inside which it finishes.

two of these pitchers are throwing rises, one Jenny Finch and the other a pitcher who played for UCLA.

Feb 20, 2012
my thumb does not come off the ball until my release in front of my leg. I don't entirely agree with the ball not being rolled. I tried pitching like that today and I can still snap a 12-6 however I feel some wrist rolling.

Feb 20, 2012
rotation is not two demensional? Tell that to the world class pitcher from Kokomo who throws a New zealand rise. The ball starts out two seams and then becomes 4 seam. Best rise I ever saw.

He can also throw with no spin and make the ball go up. It seems to float and becomes very deceptive to the hitter. I know because I tried to hit against him.

Feb 20, 2012
I don't agree with you Hillhouse about 12 year olds should not throw Knuckle changes. This is not double A ball these girls are playing so the hitters do not have the experience that men do in pickin up the way pitches are thrown.

If you throw a backspin change low and the spin keeps the ball up then it will not hit the ground. Any pitcher I have that throws a backhand of backflip never has the problem you speak about. Many great players throw a backhand and if done correctly is very effective. It takes lots time to master the change and make it look like any of your other pitches. One of the best off spead pitchers I know Is Darren Zac. He is the best I have ever seen in mixing up the pitches.

Feb 20, 2012
Hillhouse, I thought putting more pressure on index finger causes a cutter, a down and out pitch for a right hander.

Maybe I'm wrong about this but I don't think so that you have to change mechanics to throw the inshoot, rise, drop etc. The grips are different and so are the way the ball is released on each pitch. If that is not a change in mechanics then I don't really know what mechanics really are in pitching.

I have studied Cat Oesterman very much for many years on her mechanics and the way she throws her pitches. I have also seen your mechanics and in my opinion the only similarity I see is the crow hop.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Different Riseballs

I hope everyone understands that a pitcher throwing with

1. Open mechanics-cut riseball.
2. Closed mechanics-bent finger riseball.

The release point, the angle of the wrist and where the thumb is pointing at release point are both quite different.

It still amazes me when "veteran people" refere to one of the riseballs as "THE" riseball. There are several and they are different. What Bill was discribed as throwing surley has to be a cut riseball thrown with open mechanics.

Just saying.

HS/ks

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My dd throws ir method, except on her change she will turn her hand over (knuckles up) and release the ball at about waist height. This method will eliminate the whip and snap, thus taking about 15mph off her pitch. However this method does have some flaws... an experienced batter can pick up the mechanical differences and recognize its a change. And the pitch will sometimes float or hang due to the backspin. We are trying to add a bit of a roll over at the release to add some side spin so the ball has some movement.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Great post...
Great batters have learned how to pick up "tells"
The more every pitch in her arsenal looks the same for as long as possible... the more success she will have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28