Interference Rule on Slide into Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
We also keep bringing up intent in conjunction with malicious contact. At least in NFHS, the only time intent is mentioned is when deciding if there was an obvious attempt to break up a DP and if you assess a second out. INTENT is not part of MC.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
did she alter course to make certain there was contact? because the runner in this case clearly did. makes all the difference.

This has no bearing on a ruling of MC. This only would come into play if you are ruling on a second out. It also requires that some part of the action was not legal.

Jul 5, 2016
And in baseball, if that runner came up to bat again, the pitcher would be warned explicitly to not light her up.

May 6, 2015
wait, how can intent be judged on a pitch (this is not D1 level pitching we are talkling about here, girls Hs age lose control all the time) but not on that slide?

if you dont want players enforcing things, umpires need to. issues is moot if player is rightfully tossed.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Regardless of what an individual thinks watching or coaching or playing,

The reality of umpiring is
No games will be the same,
And every umpire is different.

Best lesson, hopefully learned early on!

Last edited:

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Yes, this was a playoff game. There were three umpires working game.
View attachment 22482
This photo shows that the catcher is causing the problem by standing on the baseline from 3rd to home and in the runner's path to the plate. The runner started on 3rd base and was running straight to the plate and is only inches inside the line. Certainly acceptable. The catcher should be moving a step or two in front of the plate to make the throw to first. The runner has nowhere to go but into the catcher at this moment. She is too close and moving (I assume) too quickly to stop on a dime. Based on this moment in time, I wouldn't make any call at all. I have to assume that the video might be a bit more helpful if one was looking for confirmation of interference. On the other hand, the running going from home to first appears to be inside the baseline instead of in the running lane in foul territory. Again, a video would be a lot more helpful.

Jul 5, 2016
I realize these are high school players who aren't as well trained on sliding to avoid the catcher/tag and catchers aren't as well trained in positioning as the best players in travel and college.

Having said that, as I watch the video, I can only see a deliberate hit job. If the runner slid directly into the plate, then I would say accidental, but the runner was well inside the baseline.

Edited to add: By high school, these girls know what they are doing when it comes to payback and dirty hits even if they are the highest level players. If there is any age of innocence any more, it is gone by the time the girls leave middle school.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28