Interference Rule on Slide into Catcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 12, 2020
I have seen a few people mention that the runner ends up on home plate, but I may be seeing it differently (again, with the benefit of slow motion). The runner does NOT do anything to make sure she ends up on home plate. The impact pushes her there.

I am in some level of agreeance that I don't see the slide in and of itself being an illegal slide by NFHS rule. However, that does NOT automatically mean it is a legal play (just a legal slide).

I think I said earlier (if not, I should amend my statement) that I could see this NOT being called as excessive in real time. A huge part that we are missing is what else has been going on in this game. If this was a one-off occurrence, I can see this NOT being called. If the game had been chippy and little (or not so little) things had been going on constantly, it is a no-brainer.

This is where I have an issue. There was NO intent to reach the base safely. Granted, the NFHS Softball rules do not require this, but it is something an umpire MUST take into account in these cases. The slide may have been within the guidelines of the slide rules, but that does NOT automatically mean it is OK.

Working a day of 9u baseball on turf this past weekend ... runner steals third and slides. He is not used to sliding on turf and his legs go up as his weight goes past the fulcrum of his butt. His lead foot hits F5 on the thigh. Should I have called him out for this? On dirt, he would have more resistance which would have prevented this. There was no intent and it didn't affect the play, so I'm not calling this and we are moving on. Nobody says a word.

Here is one of those statements that gets me in trouble (that does not mean it is wrong): Just because it is legal in one place does not mean it is legal. Just because it is illegal in one place does not mean it is illegal. You have to try to take the play in the entire context. Maybe it is quantum umpiring?
This game was chippy from the first pitch. The offensive coach started getting on the umpires to call illegal pitch. Even brought out a camera to take pictures of the pitcher while in the 3rd base coachs box. Home plate umpire told him to put away, no warning. The offensive team switched balls to use older dead balls. Umpire never really enforced using the new balls. Illegal substitutions, umpire pointed out
Did a little research, and take this with a grain of salt, Maxpreps has this HS team ranked in the top 25 nationally, so it is likely that most of these girls have been playing high level travel ball for a while. Also, for those interested, Runner's team won the game (CIF Semi-final).

Bad slide? Maybe. "Playing Hard?" Definitely. Intent to injure? No way to tell. The way she grabbed the bat and bolted for the dugout tells me she didn't expect that particular outcome and wanted to be as far as possible from the fallout, I didn't see that as an indicator of intent. We know she was out, but she was running hard at the plate, and without a clear out sign from the ump, had to assume the catcher's foot was off the plate so she had to get there. When catcher records out, does she have right to assume runner ceases to exist, and therefore can put her feet anywhere to make the throw?

When I first watched, I was appalled at the outcome, and the seeming indifference to the catcher's situation. Reading this thread, and rewatching the video, I believe this was a softball play with unfortunate consequences, and a confluence of the actions of all three parties (runner. catcher, umpire).

The thing that impressed me most in that video was how 1B kept her head, made sure that the pitcher got back to the circle with the ball, kept home covered and called time-out, that was impressive leadership.

Jul 5, 2016
Just a matter of time, I guess, before we see a softball game with a dugout clearing fight. I sort of thought this might happen in a couple of Florida-Auburn games a few years back.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Even brought out a camera to take pictures of the pitcher while in the 3rd base coachs box.

Home plate umpire told him to put away, no warning. The offensive team switched balls to use older dead balls. Umpire never really enforced using the new balls. Illegal substitutions, umpire pointed out
🎭🧨🎥🎉

Jul 22, 2015
" had to assume the catcher's foot was off the plate so she had to get there. " get where, the catchers foot, is that how she scores safely, sliding into catcher's foot, I thought it was the plate. if she thought she could still score, slide would have been to plate. this is where intent comes in, she intended to take catcher out.

and once the catcher records the out, the onus is on offensive player, not the defense, to avoid interfering with the play. breaking up a double play on anything that is not bang bang is not smart base running, is not playing hard, it is against the rules.

not playing hard, playing dirty definitley, even if intent was not to injure, intent was to do exact opposite of what rules call for once a runner is retired, ie interfering. jsut because this was accepted for a long time still does not make it right.
Again, watch the video and tell me when she was called out and KNEW she was a retired runner. I want my runner completing every play, especially when they have not been CALLED out. The rest regarding where/how her slide was executed etc has be rehashed many times and beaten to death on every side of legal/illegal/malicious/etc.

May 6, 2015
Again, watch the video and tell me when she was called out and KNEW she was a retired runner. I want my runner completing every play, especially when they have not been CALLED out. The rest regarding where/how her slide was executed etc has be rehashed many times and beaten to death on every side of legal/illegal/malicious/etc.
she is out at this moment, and knew it, watched Catcher catch the ball.

1623956150730.png

Jul 22, 2015
she is out at this moment, and knew it, watched Catcher catch the ball.

View attachment 22610
Wrong. There's never a reason to assume safe or out. She has no idea in that moment if the umpire is going to make the correct or incorrect call (as far as I can tell, he made no call). There is no reason for a player to make the assumption that they know what a call will be.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Appears bmakj assigned blame. Looking for others to concur.
Which happens 💁
And is ok to have a perspective!!
Maybe IT was just a gripe needing to vent.

All in all
Thread has lots of feedback shared.
Good stuff

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
If this happened often enough and enough serious injuries resulted, you would end up with rules such as the targeting rules in football which certainly eliminate dirty hits but also snag the occasional unavoidable hard contact.

May 6, 2015
Wrong. There's never a reason to assume safe or out. She has no idea in that moment if the umpire is going to make the correct or incorrect call (as far as I can tell, he made no call). There is no reason for a player to make the assumption that they know what a call will be.

she knew she was out, she made no attempt at the plate, went for the player.

this type of thinking could easily start being abused; "I never heard the call" becomes carte blanche for baserunners to interfere, especially if there is a lot of yelling and cheering.

also, not hearing a call does not relieve players from responsibility for knowing about a judgement call the umpire is making (IFR), how can not hearing a call relieve them of responsibility when they can SEE the out being made?

Jul 5, 2016
What do the rules say. The umpire enforces the rules. If the runner did not do anything specifically illegal, the best you get is interference. The runner was intent on violent, disruptive contact. That is clear from the video. The ump didn't have the benefit of watching that again and again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802