Interference question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In our game this saturday opponents had 2nd & 3rd 2 outs. A ground ball was hit to SS and runner starting on 2nd collided with SS while she was trying to field the ball for clear intererence. After a conference the umps came to the obvious conclusion that yes there was interference and the runner was called out.

The HPU came over and said the run did not count but the reason he gave was "becasue the runner had not crossed home before the interference occured." Was this the correct ruling? If the girl on 3rd crossed home before the contact between BR & SS should the run have counted because runner called out was not forced at 3rd?

My understanding on interference is immediate dead ball and runners return to last occupied base. However, I could see an interpertation that the runner crossing home before the interference would result in home plate being the last occupied base mean run counts. What is the correct ruling in this case? And would the rulling chage if in the umps opinion SS might have thrown runner out at 1B if no interference which would have been a 3rd out force at 1B?

Jun 22, 2008
Interference is immediate dead ball, runners return to the last base occupied at the time of the interference. Yes, if the runner from 3rd had somehow managed to cross the plate prior the the interference, the run would count.

As you said the ball is dead immediately on interference, makes no difference if the umpire judged the defender could still have gotten another out. Ball is dead, runner who interfered is out, batter runner awarded 1st base. If the umpire felt the interference was intentional to prevent a double play, then the the immediate trailing runner is also out.

Under ASA rules the only way I can think of off the top of my head you get multiple outs on an interference call is if a runner interfers with a fielder attempting to catch a pop fly ball with normal effort, fair or foul. In this case both the runner and batter are out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812