Interference or Obstruction on hit and run?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Obviously, I wish I had video but I'll describe it as best I can. Runner on first steals and the batter executes a near perfect hit and run, hitting behind the runner in the space the 2nd baseman vacated to cover the base. When 2nd baseman is about 8 feet from the base she sees where the ball was hit and makes a sharp left turn directly into the runner stealing 2nd, who is arriving at the same spot at the same time. The 2nd baseman had no chance at a play on the fairly hard hit ball. It was a Triple Crown Tourney if it matters.

Jun 22, 2008
Going to depend completely on the umpires judgement on if the fielder had a play on the batted ball or not.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I noted in another thread (2) times where umpires called someting similar interference. I dont like it or agree with it, but i think their excuse was that they dont know if the 2B would have made the play or not because of the collision. In your case i think you had to be there- if the runner couldnt see it coming, it might have just been one of those things

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
In order for there to be interference in the situation you describe, the defensive player needs to have some reasonable chance at a play. From the description, it appears that the 2B put herself out of normal fielding position to cover the bag, and then reversed direction when she saw the ball. If, in the umpire's judgement, she was close enough to have a play on the ball, and was prevented by the collision with the runner, then interference would be the correct call. Anything other than that should be obstruction. 2B being out of position on this play appears no different than if there had been contact between a runner and fielder just off 1B or 3B with a hard ground ball heading towards RCF.

Jul 22, 2015
It was called interference because "I don't know if she had a play or not. Your runner took her out." She was not within 20 feet of a hard hit ball and clearly had no play. It was closer to the 1st baseman who wasn't even close enough to dive for it. There was no reason the runner could have anticipated her sudden change in direction. The same home plate umpire who made this call allowed the field umpire to reverse a tag play on a bunt along the first base line when the field ump was in no position to see the tag.

Apr 20, 2018
La Crosse, WI
I believe the NFHS rules state something along the lines of "Step and a reach" for obstruction. If the player is over 10 feet away, a step and reach seems unlikely. Hard to argue without seeing the play.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I believe the NFHS rules state something along the lines of "Step and a reach" for obstruction. If the player is over 10 feet away, a step and reach seems unlikely. Hard to argue without seeing the play.

The "step and a reach" you refer to only applies to a batted ball that an infielder has deflected. That is not the case in the OP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802