Interference on foul pop fly; catch still completed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
Saw this question on social media and wasn't sure I ever saw the correct answer. BR on 2nd and 3rd, no outs. Pop fly hit in foul territory, as F5 goes after ball the BR clearly interferes but F5 is able to scramble over, dive, and complete the catch. What, if anything, is the penalty? Can there be 2 outs on this play?

Jun 22, 2008
The first thing that needs to be answered is, if the umpire calls interference you cannot have a subsequent catch. The ball is dead immediately when interference is called and nothing can happen after that, so no F5 could not complete the catch.

As for getting 2 outs, it is going to depend on ruleset. Most rulesets with interference on a foul fly ball it would be a dead ball interference call, runner who committed interference is out and batter gets a strike added to the count for the foul ball.

USA is different, on a fly ball catchable with normal effort, fair or foul, if the runner interferes it is a dead ball, and both the runner and the batter are out.

Jul 22, 2015
The first thing that needs to be answered is, if the umpire calls interference you cannot have a subsequent catch. The ball is dead immediately when interference is called and nothing can happen after that, so no F5 could not complete the catch.

As for getting 2 outs, it is going to depend on ruleset. Most rulesets with interference on a foul fly ball it would be a dead ball interference call, runner who committed interference is out and batter gets a strike added to the count for the foul ball.

USA is different, on a fly ball catchable with normal effort, fair or foul, if the runner interferes it is a dead ball, and both the runner and the batter are out.

Thanks! I didn't think it was possible to complete the catch, as it should be a dead ball. Your answer is exactly what I assumed to be correct, but I didn't realize USA made that distinction.

Feb 3, 2013
Saw this question on social media and wasn't sure I ever saw the correct answer. BR on 2nd and 3rd, no outs. Pop fly hit in foul territory, as F5 goes after ball the BR clearly interferes but F5 is able to scramble over, dive, and complete the catch. What, if anything, is the penalty? Can there be 2 outs on this play?
Any time a player runs into another the play stops emedetly and one out only

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28