Interference in JMU v Oklahoma game 1

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
5th inning, and runner at 1B. Ground ball to 3B, then 6-4-3 on the attempt for a double play.

2B catches throw, and runner is out by a few feet. On the slide into the base, runner clearly hits 2B's foot while in act of throwing. Runner is safe at 1B. It is questionable whether a perfect throw could get batter-runner out at 1B--odds are probably 90-10 against getting runner. But, runner probably hindered the throw.

Umpires called batter-runner out due to interference by runner. The rules analyst said that the contact of fielder by the runner is defined as interference since the fielder was in the act of throwing.

However, then NCAA rule says only, "12.17.2.2 The base runner may not interfere with a fielder attempting to throw the ball."

So, what do you think?

May 29, 2015
It had nothing to do with the feet. It was the fact that the runner popped up into the fielder.

Not sure why it wasn't called immediately and why this is a questionable play (other than the commentators fueling it). It was pretty obvious and an easy call.

For our newer umpires here, pop quiz: In a two-person crew, whose call is that?

Jul 22, 2015
I agree. Should have been an easy, immediate call. As for by who….without looking it up I thought either CAN call it but HP should be looking for it?

May 29, 2015
Good call @mmeece. Indeed, anybody can call it! On a potential double play, the base umpire is watching the play (ball, feet, base) so it is the plate umpire's job to be watching for this interference on the initial play (and potential "after events" ... and a pulled foot at first).

I learned this lesson the hard way. Potential double play, F4 fires straight to F3 and the ball ends up in ... center field? Coach comes out wanting the interference call. My partner calls us together and asks me "Did you see the ball hit the runner's helmet?"
I say, "No, but it obviously did."
My partner fires up the big yellow transportation device ... "Well, that is your call, so if you didn't see it we aren't calling it."
"But it obviously happened." I state, confused and not realizing I was supposed to be watching for it.
"And you weren't watching." He breaks the meeting and proceeds to rev up the engine. I would say he threw me under, but I guess I climbed under it and he just pushed the accelerator.

(Umpires, don't ever do that to make a point. Get the call right.)

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Good call @mmeece. Indeed, anybody can call it! On a potential double play, the base umpire is watching the play (ball, feet, base) so it is the plate umpire's job to be watching for this interference on the initial play (and potential "after events" ... and a pulled foot at first).

I learned this lesson the hard way. Potential double play, F4 fires straight to F3 and the ball ends up in ... center field? Coach comes out wanting the interference call. My partner calls us together and asks me "Did you see the ball hit the runner's helmet?"
I say, "No, but it obviously did."
My partner fires up the big yellow transportation device ... "Well, that is your call, so if you didn't see it we aren't calling it."
"But it obviously happened." I state, confused and not realizing I was supposed to be watching for it.
"And you weren't watching." He breaks the meeting and proceeds to rev up the engine. I would say he threw me under, but I guess I climbed under it and he just pushed the accelerator.

(Umpires, don't ever do that to make a point. Get the call right.)

Sounds like your partner got the call right, neither of you saw it happen, it didn't happen, The explanation to the coach asking for the call is, "Coach, WE didn't see it. I am the calling umpire, we as a crew got together. Neither of us saw interference. If we had the same angle you did, perhaps we would have seen it differently."

bold and italics added for clarity, no need to emphasize while saying it

May 29, 2015
@EdLovrich , I see that perspective. I think we had enough we should have called it even if he didn't see it (I believe he did see it, but I can't swear to that -- he is a good umpire, but one of those guys who makes his point in the wrong way sometimes).

I saw the play up to the fielder starting to throw and then shifted my attention to first too fast. I heard the *THUNK* of the ball hitting the helmet and then saw the ball in centerfield. True, I did not see the circumstance of the ball hitting her -- theoretically the fielder could have thrown it straight down at her ...

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Yeah, I can see having enough information, the crux of my earlier comment is your partner should have been using "we" language. We are a team out there, we live and die together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles