Interesting Whip Tool

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Saw these listed a few times online over the fall and ordered a set. My and DD used them today and were both very impressed with the easy of use and how it mimics a natural whip. We are going to try them with the kids that DD works with. Not only do they teach the whip but are a fun distraction that is sometimes needed. I ordered them from china so it took a while but they are available under the Rip Disc name.

Here is a video about them and a few more videos linked

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I make them from 2.5" wooden toy train wheels. I sand one side convex. Mine are thicker and probably heavier. The interesting thing is that mine will fade to the left and dive down, in order to get them to go further you have to release them at about a 45 degree angle which means that the release must be closer to what a pitch requires. It's an interesting idea and if it works for you great. I have found the stone skipping motion is also a good introduction.

Nov 18, 2015
ArmWhip - so you make them from something like this: 2.5" wooden wheels, and then sand one side down to a more rounded shape? Do you leave any lip around the edge, or round it off entirely (so it looks like one of those balance pods)?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
ArmWhip - so you make them from something like this: 2.5" wooden wheels, and then sand one side down to a more rounded shape? Do you leave any lip around the edge, or round it off entirely (so it looks like one of those balance pods)?
I round off about half of the side. I see that website has 2.75" wheels, I think bigger is better. If you throw mine side arm they will dive down and left into the ground. In order to get them to fly the farthest they have to be released almost vertical.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have found the stone skipping motion a useful example when introducing IR, especially with self taught beginners. I contrast it with the bowling motion (pushing the ball). It's not something that I use as a drill but I have seen the 'light come on' when they feel the whipping action and how it differs from pushing the ball. However there are surprising number of girls who have never tried to skip a stone on water.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Saw these listed a few times online over the fall and ordered a set. My and DD used them today and were both very impressed with the easy of use and how it mimics a natural whip. We are going to try them with the kids that DD works with. Not only do they teach the whip but are a fun distraction that is sometimes needed. I ordered them from china so it took a while but they are available under the Rip Disc name.

Here is a video about them and a few more videos linked

I'm not really sold by watching this girl throw all her discs in the garbage! 😜

Apr 28, 2014
I can tell ya one thing the girls we used these with found it impossible to throw one of these discs with HE :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812