Interesting post on Facebook Group about Stay to Play

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
This whole event has demonstrated people's commitment level to the game.
Having a very high or moderate commitment level is not a good or bad thing.
But it does show clearly the level of engagement. I'll leave it to others to assess if that committment level has show up in other ways in development of their player.
Someone told me a while ago "the game always knows".

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have been on both sides and the post is on point for many stay to plays from many TD's viewpoints. Especially big tournaments where you bring in a bunch of officials you have to accommodate and feed on top of paying them or if there are outside requirements to use or continue to use certain fields or complexes.

In addition, most TDs and their staff do deserve to be paid in some form for the hundreds of hours they put into running some of these tournaments.

There is no doubt there is the other side - where there is a large cash grab component or in some cases someone gets greedy. But many stay-to-plays are not. Same with gate fees.

In the end; if the TD runs a great tournament and I get value for the $$$ then we come back whatever the circumstances. There are lots of options to take our money elsewhere.

May 16, 2016
This whole event has demonstrated people's commitment level to the game.
Having a very high or moderate commitment level is not a good or bad thing.
But it does show clearly the level of engagement. I'll leave it to others to assess if that committment level has show up in the in other ways in development of their player.
Someone told me a while ago "the game always knows".

That was a big leap from "Stay to Play" policies to the Pandemic exposing lack of commitment to softball.

Not a fan of stay to play events but whoever made this list should be ashamed:

1. Should read "so we can pocket more of the tourney fees".
2. Valid but should be included in #1 (same argument unless you do not count umps as cost).
3. Valid - I have seen this work before in a high event area.
4. Bull Crap - I have never seen STP that was convenient for parents.
5. Bull Crap - let me stick with the brand I use often and I don't need the relationship with management.
6. Valid but only if you purchase the cancelation insurance in many cases.
7. Serious Bull Crap - I get better prices and service at a hotel I actually want to stay at.
8. Can be done through other mechanisms, like a simple lodging survey.
9. Really the same argument as #8 - this many people spent this many nights in your locale and ate this many meals.
10. So STP does something forces people to stay in crappy hotels they otherwise would not have and they interact over it. Insert an eye roll here.

No reason to be abusive to the booking agents that are working for these tournament directors. Be vocal to the tournament directors about your displeasure with STP. In the end, the only option a team is going to have is not attend STP events but they won't because the big tournaments will not budge on it.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Stay to play hotels are often up to 50 miles away from the park. And I can virtually always find an AirBnB that is half the price PLUS I get a kitchen and more than one bathroom. So, you're never going to be able to sell me on the idea that it's easier/cheaper/more convenient for parents.

Aug 6, 2013
I do like the social aspect of the whole team staying at the same location. DD and her teammates have many great memories of playing the “hotel game” as they liked to do when they were younger and as they got older they would make tik toks and of course roam the halls visiting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood