Interesting post by NFA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2014
Saw this on Facebook. Wow! Calling some folks out!

WARNING: LONG post but you MUST read it all. Will open your eyes!!!!!
I rarely post but tonight I just can’t help myself. As one of about 8 founding members/organizations of National Fastpitch Alliance (NFA), I am so glad now more than ever that we stepped out 3+ years ago and started NFA. Yes, I would argue that WE are the TRUE Alliance! We formed 3 years ago and we are truly an alliance of organizations that share the common goal of “Taking Back the Game”.
Most people in softball don’t understand what this means and it may appear to make no sense at all but let me explain. This marks the 25th year for me coaching Fastpitch softball. In 2008, most of the tournaments that people think you HAVE to ply didn’t even exist. There was no Legacy, no Scenic City, no Bolts 5-Star, heck, not even any Thunderbolt organization yet. There was no D-9, no PGF, no special Leagues that charge every team and player just to be able to pay to play in a tournament and no Team 1 Showcase. However, there was college recruiting at events everywhere and every kid over a 5 year stretch from 2007-2011 that played in my organization, went to college to play softball on a softball scholarship if they desired. The same is true for the other 7-8 organizations in The Alliance.
We played Rising Stars, Ronald McDonald, Louisville Slugger IDT, Music City Hits, Birmingham Vipers Memorial Day Tournament, Southern Force Fall in Watkinsville, GA and ASA qualifiers and Nationals. I know changes in the recruiting calendar have impacted some of these events but the fact that we played all these and many more and only charged each player $300/year is what shocks most people. Yes I said per year! We also had one fundraiser that raised about $35,000 and that supported a 6-10 team organization with more going to the 14-18u for their recruiting tournaments which ran $500 or so.
Suddenly in about 2009-2010 time frame some businessmen got involved in a kids game and stole the game of softball and replaced it with the BUSINESS of softball. They were smart and worked together with a you play mine and I will play yours agreement and we will draw coaches and not pay but charge others who want in a high price to play and we will all make money. Then someone invented the Stay to Play idea which gives tournament directors $15-$50/room/night. Today, most tournaments make as much on hotels as they do on the actual event. But since they say the hotels are discounted I guess that makes it ok.....NOT!
Now we have leagues! Great idea! We can keep up with teams records against each other and create a ranking so we can determine who the best teams really are in each region of the country. That is a great idea!!! Teams enter their own scores and the program does the work. That would sound good but Now comes the BUSINESS again. Charge every team $300 to participate. Wait, every team must have 10-15 players. Let’s charge every player another $45/player. Wait guys, the players payed the $300 team fee. Where do you think team money comes from? But now each team has paid $750-$1000 annually to participate in the league. LeGues are for ALL AGES. So a low estimate is 1500 teams in any given league ages 10-18 and each paying $1000 annually is $1.5 million JUST TO SAY YOU ARE IN THE LEAGUE. And there are 6 leagues minimum! That’s $9 million in somebody’s pockets. And that is the cost to be eligible to pay an additional $800-$1500 to pay in their tournaments.
Boy am I glad THE ALLIANCE is here to help the kids! Don’t get me wrong. There are good things and playing the best competition is ALWAYS a good thing but colleges recruit players. If all those same teams came to an event that NFA hosted, do you think colleges would attend? Of course. All the players are there so all the schools will be there. So if we only charge $600 entry and $10/ day gate fee which would be about $240/team. That is $840 total and no stay to play. We will figure on 6 teams per field and 1:40 games for 5 games in 2 1/2 days.
Field cost $300/day=$900=$150/team
Umpires $60/game =$300/team
Balls 1/game/team=$25/team
Arm bands/profile booklets/college coach hospitality, etc.$600/field/tournament =$100/team
That is $575/team in expenses. That leaves $265/team in profit.
These figures are high because many times fields are at no cost and cities pay groups to bring events to their area. Now think about that 300+ team event that cost $1500/team+ and profit is $925/team.
300x$925=$277,500
Now take 8 hotel rooms per team mandatory
3 nights for each reservation
$30/night to the tournament host plus comped rooms for umpires.
That is $720/team x 309 teams=$216,000
Now you understand the Business of softball!
“Take Back the Game”
Play NFA

Dec 11, 2010
Who wrote this?

I’m curious because I too have noticed the cost of “the alliance”.

Seems like all the usual suspects are involved in that deal.

Mar 28, 2014
Who wrote this?

I’m curious because I too have noticed the cost of “the alliance”.

Seems like all the usual suspects are involved in that deal.
One of the founders of NFA wrote it. I didn't take the time to fact check his numbers but I think they are likely embellished for effect. But the overall message remains true. At some point this travel ball thing got turned into a money grab and there's not much you can do about it at this point because the people that can do something about it, ie... the heads of the major organizations, are complicit in the scheme.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
One of the founders of NFA wrote it. I didn't take the time to fact check his numbers but I think they are likely embellished for effect. But the overall message remains true. At some point this travel ball thing got turned into a money grab and there's not much you can do about it at this point because the people that can do something about it, ie... the heads of the major organizations, are complicit in the scheme.

Lets say it as it really is:

The money left their pockets and started going into someone elses and now there is a lot more money and the best players don't automatically join their best teams anymore. Now they want their 'old boys club' back and the money back in their pockets and players on their teams.

The genie is out of the bottle. The 'good old days' are not coming back - and for the non-NFA members they were not all that good anyway. And most of the NFA members are members of the money grab as well - they are just mad they didn't see several other opportunities to grab even more that they did.

And sure - they might believe or deceive themselves that they are 'all about the kids' - but I notice there is no B or C level Alliance leagues or anthing like that planned. How exactly are you 'helping' some local 10U team?

Same people, same message.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Lets say it as it really is:

The money left their pockets and started going into someone elses and now there is a lot more money and the best players don't automatically join their best teams anymore. Now they want their 'old boys club' back and the money back in their pockets and players on their teams.

The genie is out of the bottle. The 'good old days' are not coming back - and for the non-NFA members they were not all that good anyway. And most of the NFA members are members of the money grab as well - they are just mad they didn't see several other opportunities to grab even more that they did.

And sure - they might believe or deceive themselves that they are 'all about the kids' - but I notice there is no B or C level Alliance leagues or anthing like that planned. How exactly are you 'helping' some local 10U team?

Same people, same message.

... and carefully note that USA Softball is hiding behind Alliance as well; with Insurance, requiring USA Softball membership and also making sure we get back to funneling some of the money to Olympic Programs:

" A key part of the partnership [between Alliance and USA Softball] includes financial support for the USA Softball Women’s and Junior Women’s National Team Program. A portion of each Alliance Fastpitch registration will be donated to support the athletes and coaches who represent the United States at international events each season. "

Note there - that is not money TO the players, but to support 'the program'. So now your money is helping the best talent; not your kid. Nice.

NFA is led primarily by Firecrackers & Batbusters & Aces and Fury... guess who is known for the top teams in the country.

Lets see: The SEFL League is led by Tampa Mustangs, EC Bulltets & Fury Platinum. Oh yeah, lots of support for 'growing the game' comes from those clubs (great clubs, but it is all about getting talent from other teams there)

Oh and 6 leagues... I am sure that covers ALL the country. Oh wait, no it doesn't. I saw a list of 'registered' or interested teams and it is basically the same you get on a PGF event.

Same story, same people.

Nov 29, 2009
The absolute KING of the money grab is Cooperstown for the boys. $1100 for each player and coach. You have to bring an umpire. No ump.. That's another $1000.

And they do it every weekend during the summer with 100 teams or so.

The baseball teams are falling all over themselves to go there. Just because it's Cooperstown. No tournament winner. Just a giant roundrobin.

May 27, 2013
The absolute KING of the money grab is Cooperstown for the boys. $1100 for each player and coach. You have to bring an umpire. No ump.. That's another $1000.

And they do it every weekend during the summer with 100 teams or so.

The baseball teams are falling all over themselves to go there. Just because it's Cooperstown. No tournament winner. Just a giant roundrobin.

Yep - because just about every kid can put one over the fence at Cooperstown because of the shorter field dimensions. Oh, and the “fun” of staying in the barracks. Huge money grab.

All I can say is I wish I owned a lake house up there I could rent out to the families of the players! I’d be raking in the dough!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom