Interesting article: Senior week or State playoffs?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
There will ALWAYS be something that is more important than a softball game.
Last year on my DDs team the starting catcher left Sparklers Jr Power Pool after the third day in Colorado because she had to fly to Hawaii to be in her mom's wedding. I guess she's a spineless piece of garbage and the rest of the team should hold a grudge because something else came up. And that's Sparklers Power Pool, not some lower division in some states prep playoff game

It's comical that you think the Sparklers Junior tournament actually means something to anybody but their parents.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How dare those 2 young people - who did not break any laws and who notified the coach 6 days before the game - be free to do what they wanted?! The "article" and this thread scream of entitlement.

Their departure allowed an opportunity for others to step up. Two other players were able to play when they might never have seen the field otherwise. The replacements made the most of the opportunity, but as a group, they came up short.

According to the story, they had won the first 6 playoff games with a combined total of 41-3. With that kind of dominance, why wasn't the bench being used more, one might wonder: "Ronayne later admitted that even though she’s played in the outfield in travel softball, she had never before played the position in high school."

Observers can talk about the glory of high school achievements, but the one lesson all the adults here ought to take away is that you do not get to determine another person's values. I disagree with what the girls did, but it was their choice to make, not mine.
Entitlement? How so? How about commitment, dedication, not letting your teammates down? The top 2 players from a team said screw you to the rest of the teammates that they played with. Other seniors saw their chances of a state title and all of their commitment go down the drain because two teammates wanted to go to the beach instead of remain loyal to the team. Entitlement?

May 27, 2013
How dare those 2 young people - who did not break any laws and who notified the coach 6 days before the game - be free to do what they wanted?! The "article" and this thread scream of entitlement.

Their departure allowed an opportunity for others to step up. Two other players were able to play when they might never have seen the field otherwise. The replacements made the most of the opportunity, but as a group, they came up short.

According to the story, they had won the first 6 playoff games with a combined total of 41-3. With that kind of dominance, why wasn't the bench being used more, one might wonder: "Ronayne later admitted that even though she’s played in the outfield in travel softball, she had never before played the position in high school."

Observers can talk about the glory of high school achievements, but the one lesson all the adults here ought to take away is that you do not get to determine another person's values. I disagree with what the girls did, but it was their choice to make, not mine.

Ronayne is one of their two starting pitchers, she usually does play the field.

Mar 13, 2010
I think the girls were wrong not to play.

I think the reporter is worse for writing this article.

Oh and as one of the international people here, where HS sport means nothing at all (like nothing) I do still have my premiership medal from year 12. And I’m in my mid 30s

Aug 12, 2014
While it is too bad, I have no issue with this if this was already planned. That seems a bit unclear in the article. I doubt they just woke up and decided to head off to the beach with the senior class. Heck, they could have spent $500 on the week for all we know

Poor school, they only had 44 other years to figure this out unless "Senior Week" is a surprise or the season is always done by the time it rolls around.

Every school has their own senior laden disruptions that affect the spring sports. I can't begin to tell you how many times players missed games because of college visits or school annual fundraisers.

It is a shame but it happens. What doesn't happen too often is a journalist throwing some kids under the bus...

I'm thinking senior week isn't an official school activity where they have the ability to schedule it later so it doesn't conflict with sports.

My first thought was they should have stayed and played, but as you said, maybe they already spent a lot of money on the trip. And maybe everyone figured they wouldn't still be playing at that point. We don't have enough information. And I agree that the writer took a very slanted view, with no mention of trying to get their side.

Feb 3, 2011
Entitlement? How so? How about commitment, dedication, not letting your teammates down? The top 2 players from a team said screw you to the rest of the teammates that they played with. Other seniors saw their chances of a state title and all of their commitment go down the drain because two teammates wanted to go to the beach instead of remain loyal to the team. Entitlement?
It's such an easy calculation - they decided that the value of B was greater than the value of A. "You didn't do what I would have done, therefore you're wrong" is entitlement-based thinking. Ok, so the 1st- and 2nd-best bats in the lineup were missing. That's tough for any offense to replace. But now someone else gets to fill those roles. They've left the team, so there's a new #1 and #2. It's disappointing. It would suck if their comrades were hurt and unable to play. And if they are normal humans, it probably stings more knowing that their teammates left them for a stupid beach party that's going to be repeated no less than half-a-dozen times over the next 3 months. But that's as much a life lesson as any other - no matter how committed you are to something that you feel is important, you cannot 100% rely on other humans to feel the exact same as you. I wish to h*** I had learned that before I was 30.

"Ladies, this team to the final four. You earned it with your hard work. You've got a big job to do today and if - as a team - we are successful, then we'll advance to the championship. We'll start our top 9, but everyone needs to be ready when your number is called. We can do this. We will do this. You leave it all out there and you will be champions. And no matter what happens, you make sure they remember FOREVER the night they played the Vikings!!!"

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I tend to try to look at situations through the eyes of other people it impacts. I agree that these two girls had a decision to make and they chose what was more important to them. That is their right. But if I was one of the other players on the team I would feel betrayed by this. And it would be my right to feel that way.

I do agree with @Momo'sDad that it is valuable to understand that not everyone has the same values. As a supervisor of 300 people I would go crazy if I expected everyone to have the same work ethic and goals that I have. In general, many people are simply interested in what is best for them. They have zero care about how any of it impacts their fellow associates. Even those that are their friends.

Jun 4, 2019
I can’t say whether it is right or wrong, girls and their parents can decide for themselves, but it’s comical to think that it’s ok just because it’s HS.

There is no experience like making a state playoff run. You will never experience anything like it in your softball playing life. You surely don’t get that experience from a travel tournament where it is only parents and possibly some coaches watching. To have your entire school and community behind you is something I wish all girls could experience.

I think some people forget what sports is really all about. It has nothing to do with what college coach might be watching. If that’s why you play, you are in it for the wrong reason. We should be careful of the example we are setting for our kids.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Entitlement based thinking is based upon an individual, or in this case two individuals, who believe that they have free reign and therefore, do not care about their commitment or teammates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478