Intentional walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Lots of things can happen if the pitcher has to deliver the pitches. The no-pitch walk takes all that away from the offense.

Since illegal pitches are now just a ball and not a free base, a pitcher can just do something illegal four times (bringing hands together twice?) without throwing the ball to achieve the same purpose in a much longer amount of time.

Oct 24, 2010
Since illegal pitches are now just a ball and not a free base, a pitcher can just do something illegal four times (bringing hands together twice?) without throwing the ball to achieve the same purpose in a much longer amount of time.
Good Q. There are rules against intentionally violating a rule to walk a batter. It is unsporting behavior and can result in ejection(s).

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019
Hey guys/gals,
We recently played in a tournament where we were told that a batter did not have to be pitched to when wanting to intentionally walk them. (No Pitch out needed). This tournament was using the IFA/VTD rule set. When we asked to see this rule the TD told us it was new and not in the rule book we had. Is anyone familiar with these rules enough to comment.
We just played an NSA in NC. I intentionally walked the bases loaded because the timer was getting short. We were not required to pitch the BBs. I said "put the next two on". Ump told them to take their bases and we rolled.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Good Q. There are rules against intentionally violating a rule to intentionally walk a batter. It is unsporting behavior and can result in ejection(s).

Is there? I can't find that, though it may not exist anymore since the IBB is automatic (looking in NFHS, so others may have language for it).

Aug 25, 2019
I'm not sure, but I believe you still have to throw a pitch to make it an illegal pitch. The team at bat can still hit it and take the result of the hit, or a ball on the count.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I'm not sure, but I believe you still have to throw a pitch to make it an illegal pitch. The team at bat can still hit it and take the result of the hit, or a ball on the count.

A pitcher can drop the ball on the backswing. Or do the entire pitching motion and not release the ball. I think there are a few things a pitcher could do to get an illegal pitch call without actually delivering the ball.

Oct 24, 2010
Good Q. There are rules against intentionally violating a rule to walk a batter. It is unsporting behavior and can result in ejection(s).
Is there? I can't find that, though it may not exist anymore since the IBB is automatic (looking in NFHS, so others may have language for
Explicitly stated for F1 not delivering a pitch in 20 seconds, NFHS 6-2-3. This is a timing violation
Also explicitly stated for F2 not returning the ball directly to F1 or playing on a runner, NFHS 6-3-2.
Both refer to unsporting conduct 3-6-13.
Once upon a time, committing an illegal pitch was ample deterrent because it resulted in free bases.
It is my opinion that deliberately violating rules or intentionally hitting a batter to effect an intentional walk is unsporting.

Oct 24, 2010
CoachJD is correct that an illegal pitch is forever illegal even if it is not delivered. Violating anything in 6-1-1 is enough. Throwing to a base while in contact with the pitcher's plate is also an illegal pitch, 6-2-7. How many pitchers have you seen that delivery once you call the IP? Too many to count.

Dropping the ball after the hands separate is a pitch, not illegal unless the umpire rules it was deliberately dropped, rolled, bounced, etc., to prevent the batter from striking at it, 6-2-1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802