Intentional walk

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Hey guys/gals,
We recently played in a tournament where we were told that a batter did not have to be pitched to when wanting to intentionally walk them. (No Pitch out needed). This tournament was using the IFA/VTD rule set. When we asked to see this rule the TD told us it was new and not in the rule book we had. Is anyone familiar with these rules enough to comment.

Jun 29, 2013
Only seen that in men's slow pitch, MLB and minor league baseball. I'm assuming the major softball associations will soon follow baseball's lead but wasn't aware of it happening already. Where I have seen it, the pitcher or manager just holds up 4 fingers and the base is awarded.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It cause some confusion for us a couple years ago, not sure why. We were playing ASA, you need to walk the batter..

New rule not in book yet, I would go ballistic. What? Show me something that it is a rule.

What else are they going make up as a rule?

Jun 22, 2008
I have no idea why an age old rule suddenly needs to change. MLB did it in the name of time savings because their games take too long. Really? Exactly how many intentional walks are done in the average MLB game, and what does it save, maybe 30 seconds? There are all kinds of other things they could do that would save far more time per game than simply putting a runner on base without throwing pitches.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Longshot,

Yes, I've seen it.

Unfortunately, it's a lost technical skill...which is infrequently used and rarely practiced. Watch a few NCAA College World Series games as a template on how "not" to intentionally walk a batter. Like the sac bunt, it's a great skill often swept under the rug. Hope not to have to use it, but if we do...let's cross our fingers & hope really hard. ;)

An offense should really have no reason to argue against intentional pitch walks. Especially, with runners on the sacks.

I've coached a young catcher in travel ball, who has recently won a HS state championship. Highly regarded HS program, highly regarded HS pitching/catching coach. At early travel practice, we break into intentional walk drills. She mentions, "coach, we do these all the time...do we haaaaave to work on them this summer?" My reply is..."great, you can train the pitchers & catchers today." She reluctantly agrees & begins to teach crossover footwork and catching outside of her core. So, I ask her...who taught you those skills? She proudly replies "our HS pitching coach, coach!" Anyway...we proceed to teach our group of catchers the model our TB program expects . The same girl asks "do we have to do it that way coach?" My reply could only be "when your with coach X, apply coach X's model... when your with us, perfect our model." After drills, I give the pitchers & catchers homework to watch one Milwaukee Brewers (yeah, I know) game & we'll quiz next practice on Jonathan Lucroy's model for intentional walks. Sure enough, the same girl raises her hand and says "coach, I won't be able to...we don't have cable." :D

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
The intentional walk technique for baseball catchers is unnecessary for softball due to the huge difference in the catcher's box. Both rules require catchers be in their box before the start of the pitch, however the box for softball is as wide as the outer batter's box lines (i.e. 8' 5") vs 43" for baseball. Many don't realize it since the lines are rarely drawn on the field.

SoftballDiamond12a.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478