Inside Tee Work suggestions wanted..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
2nd year 12u... What I'm trying to work on with DD is contact on the better part of the barrel on inside fastballs. The run into summer kansas city and pgf has started and we are seeing more and more best pitchers in the division. Fastballs inside are pretty vicious.. I'm always telling daughter to get it early and turn on it, but at this stage and at 40', it doesn't seem practical with the pitching speeds she can face. Is there any video's or other instruction that show how to deal best with getting jammed? Especially in regards to work on the tee.. Thanks in advance - E

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Tilt.
eefd730bd71ae7157b828bb30ddc340e.gif

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Feb 18, 2012
Southwest PA
One drill that i use to train hitters on attacking inside pitch is the Jam drill. It is not a tee drill but short screen. What you do is pitch the ball right at them literally. For young girls i use wiffle balls or tennis balls but with older girls i use softballs. The key here is that they have to attack the ball early if not they get hit by the ball. Believe me after a couple balls come in and hit them they will start to turn early. After they become good at that i will pitch 2 balls outside and then 1 inside or any different pitch combinatons like 1 inside i outside then back inside. Make a game out of it.

Apr 28, 2019
2nd year 12u... What I'm trying to work on with DD is contact on the better part of the barrel on inside fastballs. The run into summer kansas city and pgf has started and we are seeing more and more best pitchers in the division. Fastballs inside are pretty vicious.. I'm always telling daughter to get it early and turn on it, but at this stage and at 40', it doesn't seem practical with the pitching speeds she can face. Is there any video's or other instruction that show how to deal best with getting jammed? Especially in regards to work on the tee.. Thanks in advance - E
I would suggest standing a little further back. I have a daughter that tends to crowd the plate and fights me when I tell her to back-up. It’s all about the position of the back foot.
We stand further back and “dive” into the ball to square-up the ball on the barrel. Nothing more frustrating than hitting off the end of the bat or getting jammed on the handle.
Also stand further back towards the catcher with foot on the batters box end line against fast pitchers.
I tell the girls measure the distance with your bat. Touch the bat to the plate side closest to you and where the barrel meets the handle is where you need to be.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Stand in the back of the batter's box, this is typically overlooked. I always ask them, "Why do you want to get closer the pitcher? If the pitcher stood a foot in front of the pitching rubber you wouldn't like it."

Apr 28, 2019
Stand in the back of the batter's box, this is typically overlooked. I always ask them, "Why do you want to get closer the pitcher? If the pitcher stood a foot in front of the pitching rubber you wouldn't like it."
I see a lot of the same thing. Girls standing a foot in front of the plate. Why? Do you want to reduce your reaction time? Of course not you want as much time as possible to see the ball.
I have my girls stand at the back corner of the plate to start and then adjust according to speed & movement of the pitchers stuff.
The only people that should be out ahead of the plate are slappers & drag bunters.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I'm horrible with words but I've been there. I personally like using "back shoulder works under front shoulder". That's what works for my DD's.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hmm, I think that I understand where you are going with this. It seems like the more vertical angle on the bat, the better part of the bat can get to the inside ball. Although, it doesn't look like the attached gif is really a painted inside pitch.. Thanks - E

May 7, 2015
SoCal
One drill that i use to train hitters on attacking inside pitch is the Jam drill. It is not a tee drill but short screen. What you do is pitch the ball right at them literally. For young girls i use wiffle balls or tennis balls but with older girls i use softballs. The key here is that they have to attack the ball early if not they get hit by the ball. Believe me after a couple balls come in and hit them they will start to turn early. After they become good at that i will pitch 2 balls outside and then 1 inside or any different pitch combinatons like 1 inside i outside then back inside. Make a game out of it.

Thanks, good point

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22