Inside Pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Hi, I would like some advice on how to nail an inside pitch to the fence like I do with an outside pitch. I have a litlle bit of a closed stance, and use to kind of crowd the plate. Im trying to fix these but am still having trouble hitting that tricky inside pitch. I would love some help. :)

Jun 26, 2008
Follow the advice of Mike Candrea. As he says and I quote there are no real concerns how you start when you bat. There are things all hitters,good hitters do the same. Plate coverage is one from a balanced stance then where do we hit the ball? I believe he uses three hitting zones. You hit the inside pitch in front of your hip and drive it as far as you can.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Softball Girl

Think in terms of catching the ball out in front of you with the bat. To get the barrel of the bat into that position the hand path needs to be one of tight to the body and the hands have to "Fish Hook" around the front as you rotate.

When I say fish hook that is the hand path for the inside pitch. It looks like a fish hook. This will put the barrel of the bat out front quicker to the contact point out. A must for the inside pitch.

Try hard not to let the front shoulder open too soon. If it does your looking a a long foul ball instead of one down the line or maybe even over the fence. :D

Elliott.

May 9, 2008
Hitting Inside

Hi #18,

One of the best ways to hit the inside pitch is to be looking for it and know what situations a pitcher is likely to be throwing inside. You'll need to study pitchers and their tendencies. If you focus your eyes on the release of the ball and are prepared for an inside pitch to be delivered even if the pitch goes to the middle of the plate or the outside you can still adjust your swing because your arms can extend rapidly (think boxing). It is much more difficult (read nearly impossible) to look outside and adjust in. Your body can't retract the arms and adjust your torso back to the pitch fast enough. You can also open up your stance (read point your lead foot toward third if you are a right handed batter, toward first if left handed) to get your hands and the bat through the strike zone quicker.

Good Luck,

Pops

May 12, 2008
Think in terms of catching the ball out in front of you with the bat. To get the barrel of the bat into that position the hand path needs to be one of tight to the body and the hands have to "Fish Hook" around the front as you rotate.
Elliott.

Very very late in the swing. Do it early and you've got nada.

May 12, 2008
Hi #18,

One of the best ways to hit the inside pitch is to be looking for it and know what situations a pitcher is likely to be throwing inside. You'll need to study pitchers and their tendencies. If you focus your eyes on the release of the ball and are prepared for an inside pitch to be delivered even if the pitch goes to the middle of the plate or the outside you can still adjust your swing because your arms can extend rapidly (think boxing). It is much more difficult (read nearly impossible) to look outside and adjust in. Your body can't retract the arms and adjust your torso back to the pitch fast enough. You can also open up your stance (read point your lead foot toward third if you are a right handed batter, toward first if left handed) to get your hands and the bat through the strike zone quicker.

Good Luck,

Pops

I find it easier to narrow the radius and stay connected. IOW, to look out and adjust in.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Pitching/hitting is a battle of wills between the hitter and the pitcher.

At the top , a pitcher is trying to make you swing at pitches you don't want to hit. The really good hitters don't try to hit pitches that they don't like--they foul them off.

What my DD would do is give you outside pitches that you can't hit to try to get you to go fishing and bust your hands on the inside for strikes. But, if you can foul off the inside pitches enough, my DD will sooner or later put something on the outside part of the plate for you to hit. You have to be patient and you have to foul off the inside stuff. Even if you make outs 2 of 3 times, and then you will be playing in the CWS in a couple of years.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Funny - most hitters struggle on the outside while they love the inside. It's actually not a bad problem to have because it is easier to learn to hit inside pitches than outside pitches in most cases.

Your closed stance and crowding of the plate obviously makes it harder to hit those inside pitches as you know already.

The inside pitch - you have to think "Turn on it". Throw your hands inside the ball, rotate your hips a little more and be a little faster on your swing.

Pitch Recognition is the most important thing. Just practice the inside pitch on a tee and have people live pitch or front toss a variety of pitches to you to keep you guessing but with a majority inside to work on it.

Marc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802