Influence of Slugging Percentage or ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How long does it take a 'hot' hitter to get moved into a better spot in the lineup? How long do you keep her there until you consider moving her again based on her performance?
Tournaments
Perhaps the answer to this~
How did the other batters do last game?

Strategy is part of winning!

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
After you get a flavor of the hitters performance (say 10 games or 30-40 at bats) you have a general idea of what's to come. Can hitters get hot/lucky? Sure they can but much of their performance depends on the opposition pitcher/defense. They can hit seeds right at the defense, but over 40 AB's you can tell who can swing the bat.

Be honest. Look at your team as if they were the opposition. Look at the roster or the starters if not batting all. How many really decent hitters do you have? By that I mean if they were on the opposition I'd be very concerned. How many just average hitters do you have? By that I mean they pretty much can only hit below average pitching. How many automatic outs do you have? By that I mean they are a K or are looking for a walk. Of these, do you have any with speed who know how to run bases? Do you have slappers who can hit? How many power hitters?

Do not put your best hitters back to back to back because against decent pitching the rest of the lineup will likely fail to drive them in. Then you don't score until they bat again meaning you are on offense only every other inning. I try to mix in the average hitters with the decent hitters. If they manage to get on the innings get very interesting. Lastly teach the kids who struggle at the plate to bunt, especially if they can run well. They wont be an automatic out.

Sep 17, 2009
How long does it take a 'hot' hitter to get moved into a better spot in the lineup? How long do you keep her there until you consider moving her again based on her performance?
Yep, sub-replying myself :)

I think anything too 'strategic' is like trying to time the stock market -- you're just as likely to miss the peak and time the valley as you are to accomplish something productive.

If you know what you've got I'd say a moveable slump or an 'average' hitter on a hot streak is at least a tournament lag, if not longer. Especially if they are working and being productive in out-of-game hitting sessions.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
On an average team (12u or 14u) you have 3 to 5 (closer to 5 the better the team) athletes that can and will hit with polished swings and confidence. You have 2 or 3 that just aren't very good. Sorry. That leave 5 to 7 players that are somewhat unpredictable. Some cant hit fast pitching. Some aren't seeing the ball well. Some are emotional. Some didn't eat breakfast. Between pregame warm ups and pool play a coach should be able to pick out his best lineup for bracket play.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
After you get a flavor of the hitters performance (say 10 games or 30-40 at bats) you have a general idea of what's to come. Can hitters get hot/lucky? Sure they can but much of their performance depends on the opposition pitcher/defense. They can hit seeds right at the defense, but over 40 AB's you can tell who can swing the bat.

Be honest. Look at your team as if they were the opposition. Look at the roster or the starters if not batting all. How many really decent hitters do you have? By that I mean if they were on the opposition I'd be very concerned. How many just average hitters do you have? By that I mean they pretty much can only hit below average pitching. How many automatic outs do you have? By that I mean they are a K or are looking for a walk. Of these, do you have any with speed who know how to run bases? Do you have slappers who can hit? How many power hitters?

Do not put your best hitters back to back to back because against decent pitching the rest of the lineup will likely fail to drive them in. Then you don't score until they bat again meaning you are on offense only every other inning. I try to mix in the average hitters with the decent hitters. If they manage to get on the innings get very interesting. Lastly teach the kids who struggle at the plate to bunt, especially if they can run well. They wont be an automatic out.
This is a good point.
Knowing your line up/hitters.
By knowing them there are times
can see an off day/or stretch.
Or
Another having a hot day.

Someones tanking this weekend...
Do you leave them in the primary spots in the line up?

If i could see another hitter being more productive it wouldnt be a gamble moving switching them in.

However the tanking player seems
would be a hopeful gamble leaving them in.
(They could still be in the line up
Because they did previously earn the primary spot...
Or pinch hit if need be.)

There are times when teams cant seem to get anything going.
Basically I think it's just paying attention to the performance of the Players and knowing them enough to be confident making a change or not.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2016
HC did something different last summer. 18u Showcase team that under performed at the plate the the weekend before. Saturday morning at the first pool game he announced the lineup and only 9 players were batting in the pool game. There was some mumbling and girls looking at the line up for their name after he hung it up. First time I had seen a coach do it in a pool game. It appeared to work. All the girls certainly seemed more focused and the team had a good weekend at the plate.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101