Infielder's Face Guard

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2008
I recently have been looking into getting my daughter one of the infielder's face guards. I see Worth makes one and I think Game Face was the other I saw. How many of you have your girls wearing them? My daughter is going to be a freshman next school year, but plays on our small city rec team. nobody from our town wears them, but I saw one pitcher from a different city, who we play against wears one. She pitches, so she is open and almost defenseless against a hard hit line drive or a one hopper at her after finishing her pitch. Is one mask better than the other? I read of some pretty nasty injuries and would rather spend the money than deal with what could happen to anyone on the infield. Let me know what you al think.

Rob

Jun 6, 2009
These were not popular a few years ago when I was coaching but I occasionaly go out to local tournaments and from what ive seen and heard most like the Rip It. Others I'm sure have different opinions.

Face Guards and Face Masks

May 29, 2009
My pitcher DD has worn the Rip It since last month when a line drive almost rearranged her face. Got the glove up but scared the crap out of all of us. She can see fine out of the Rip It and practices with it so she's used to it in a game. If the glove goes on, the mask goes on. She tried the Game Face and the Defender but likes the Rip It best.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My students like the Defender. I wear the Game Face. I own the Rip It, but it is wire and is 5 ounces heavier than the Game Face. The Defender is the lightest.

My students prefer the strap that goes around the head and not over it.

Also, look at Worth and D Mask.

Once they start wearing it, they will become very used to it.

Aug 2, 2008
My daughters both wear them, 10 yo pitcher, 11 yo second base. One likes the bangerz because of the floating chin strap, the other likes the game face, I don't care as long as they are protected. I see more and more kids wearing them even in high school, they practice with and are comfortable wearing them. They are not complete animals like some kids but they do not pull there heads anymore, they actually watch grounders all the way to the mitt.

Mike

Jan 15, 2009
We just got two more converts on our team, pitcher and third base wearing the Rip It. Same night they started wearing them an outfielder took one off the noggin on a bad hop in the outfield. As they get older, not sure there is anywhere they can play where they shouldn't have some protection. I am always suprised at how few kids even put in a mouth guard.

May 7, 2008
A couple of our pitchers have converted from the Gameface to the new Bangerz mask and are very happy with the change.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
My 13yo daughter wears the Game Face and has since last year. She pitches and plays short stop. Last year she only played LL and was the only player to use one after I was reading online about face injuries for pitchers. She resisted then but is a believer now since she also plays travel ball and sees many other girls use face protection. I told her last year she would be a trend setter for our local little league and this year about a half dozen girls are using face protection.

Jul 19, 2008
I just ordered the Bangers HS-1800 clear face mask. I hope it is comfortable and works out good. I hope she will wear it past this year. If nothing else, I can always try a different one if this one dont work out for whatever reason.

Rob

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Best of luck with it - any protection is better than none! If she balks at using it remind her she wears a helmet when batting. I also suggest having her use it with some one-on-one practice time with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28