Infield Footwork

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 11, 2014
Kingsville, Texas
Recently gotten back into coaching. (Baseball and Softball 8u). Both teams have coaches who have different opinions of foot work. Some say to "step through or cross over" as Howard Kobata teaches. The others say to replace feet or shuffle since that what the pros do.

I've had discussion's with a lot of coaches most say it depends on style/region of play. I personally like the step through/cross over to keep momentum in direction of throw. I also see some benefit in the shuffle.

Which way taught to your dd? Does it vary from baseball to softball? What are the pros / cons to either?

Sep 29, 2014
Depending on location you may have to cross over first but once you have gathered yourself shuffle then throw. Where and how the ball is hit and where you are playing may give you some odd angles when you have to improvise so there is not one answer that always fits but assuming normal,average ball shuffle and throw is what I was taught and teach.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
We teach a shuffle-behind where the rear foot comes behind the lead foot, and plants perpendicular to the line of the throw, this move immediately gets the hips and shoulders fully turned, and sets up the body for a good throw. What I have seen with a step-through with the rear foot crossing in front is that the hips and shoulders are often left open, limiting the ability to use proper throwing mechanics.

May 17, 2012
We teach a shuffle-behind where the rear foot comes behind the lead foot, and plants perpendicular to the line of the throw,

This would go against the two most popular ways to teach defensive footwork (crossover or step/replace). I am curious as to why you teach it this way. The reasons you stated seem to be the exact reasons why everyone says not do this (cross from behind). From a throwing prospective it doesn't seem natural.

Thanks.

SB45

Dad, Coach, Chauffeur
Sep 2, 2016
Western NY
The biggest thing I take from the Kobata videos is getting the glove side foot forward as you are fielding the ball, followed by a crossover or step/replace. This just seems to create more fluid momentum into the throw. I think this is more important than the shuffle part. If your feet are even as you field the ball...too slow!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This would go against the two most popular ways to teach defensive footwork (crossover or step/replace). I am curious as to why you teach it this way. The reasons you stated seem to be the exact reasons why everyone says not do this (cross from behind). From a throwing prospective it doesn't seem natural.

Thanks.

You're right. It does go against popular teaching. When my DD first joined the team, I was skeptical, at first. However, I see it work very well to get the body lined up better for proper throwing action. A properly done foot-replacement is okay. As I mentioned before, a cross in front often leaves players (especially younger ones) with their body never getting properly positioned, and the result is an arm push throw.

The sequence we teach (RHT player)...step forward with the left foot as the ball is fielded, pull the ball into the hip, shuffle behind with the right foot as the right elbow pulls up and back into launch position, fire the ball. It's one continuous movement. It's essentially the same as Kobata's technique except that the right foot is offset behind the left foot on the shuffle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gmnttbF_c
At 0:50, you can see a step-through, and the hip never gets fully turned. At 1:10, she executes a shuffle-behind, and the hip gets fully turned. At 1:22, she does more of a foot-replacement move, which does okay because she plants her right foot correctly to get her body lined up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee