Infield fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
How do you know he wouldn't have asked why it wasn't an IF fly even if she had caught it?
He might have asked the question but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have gotten tossed for just "asking". I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he just wanted the out and was mad the team didn't get him one and took it out on the ump.

Mar 28, 2014
So I should tell my SS next time there is a potential IF, take a circuitous route to the ball, make it seem like a tough catch even though a 8 yo Rec player could catch it and you are in 14u A ball, then intentionally drop it and get the double play. Thanks!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I’m with marriard in not thinking that it is an automatic IF call. I think it probably should have been called, but the defense worked themselves out of the call.

It should have been an easy ball for F5, who decides to wander off and never even looks at it. Right there should have been the IF call — IF is not about what the defense actually does, but what they should do.

Instead, F6 then goes on the run. She gets there, but had to make a trek to do it. You have ONE umpire (who, as was pointed out, was not very mobile or interested) who likely watched F6 make the pilgrimage to try to make F5’s routine play AND then drop the ball. Based on that, I can see the “no call”.

Not saying I necessarily agree with it, but I get it.

It would have been an easy catch for F5, but F6 called for the ball very quickly. If F6 is calling, she has priority. F5 didn't "wander off. After F6 called for the ball, F5 moved to cover 3B, as she should with runners on 1B and 2B.

Trek? Pilgrimage? Really?? F6 moved 15-20' at an easy pace to get to the spot of the ball, and attempted to make an easy two-handed catch at head level.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
He might have asked the question but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have gotten tossed for just "asking". I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he just wanted the out and was mad the team didn't get him one and took it out on the ump.

The ejection was more to do with the extended chirping between HC and ump after the play, and into the AB of the next batter. Both could have handled it better. It would have been avoided completely if SS had just made that damn catch!

Mar 28, 2014
It would have been an easy catch for F5, but F6 called for the ball very quickly. If F6 is calling, she has priority. F5 didn't "wander off. After F6 called for the ball, F5 moved to cover 3B, as she should with runners on 1B and 2B.

Trek? Pilgrimage? Really?? F6 moved 15-20' at an easy pace to get to the spot of the ball, and attempted to make an easy two-handed catch at head level.
Eric I'm with you man. I'm afraid that play has been completely misdiagnosed by the man in blue. The fact that these umps see that as anything other than a routine catch for a 14u travel player is eye opening.

Mar 28, 2014
Question -- does the fact that it landed 6 feet from where the 3rd baseman was positioned and would have been an extremely easy play for her come into play when deciding whether or not this was an IF? What if a ball is hit straight up over the SS head and she is camped under it but the 1st baseman calls it and comes charging in from 40 foot away and has to dive for it and then drops it? Is that no longer an IF since it was an extremely tough catch for the 1st baseman? Even though the SS was camped under it?

Feb 3, 2016
Sure looked like IF. 2 players could've caught with ordinary effort. Just because the 1st baseman didn't run across the field and dive for it making it an extraordinary effort doesn't matter. Don't know how it can misconstrued any other way than an IF.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

May 10, 2019
I watched this many times, but not for the IF Rule. Here's what I noticed. First, the umpire's enthusiasm in making that call at 3rd was truly underwhelming.

The biggest issue is that the defensive coach came out to argue. Argue what? He ended up with an out and runners still on 1st & 2nd. Who cares how he got that result?

But the biggest issue was what the coach was arguing about. The throw to 3rd was late! Watch it again, and then another time. The toss from the catcher from foul territory was slow - and did NOT beat the runner's slide into 3rd. The plate umpire started to ring her up before she even got there. She had her knees bent after sliding into the bag, while the ball was still not in the 3Bman's glove. I had to enlarge the video and focus on the left side to see it, but there it is. The guy gets an out where there was none, and then gets tossed in the process of arguing for the IF out that wasn't called. Ya gotta love an unhinged coach.
I don't understand why the defensive coach would come out and argue. How about the argument of the girl being safe at 3rd. How about the umpires call? Call it like you are half interested in getting it right.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I don't understand why the defensive coach would come out and argue. How about the argument of the girl being safe at 3rd. How about the umpires call? Call it like you are half interested in getting it right.

An IF call means the batter is out and the runners don't advance. Coach wanted that out (granted, F6 should have made that catch). The non-call of IF on an easy pop-up is what the coach was arguing about.

What argument about 3B? It wasn't a very close play. If F2 had put some zip on the ball, it might have been close enough to whine about.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood