Infield fly

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ump did not call "infield fly" on this play. When questioned about the decision by defensive HC, ump refused to acknowledge it as a routine play.

The resulting discussion between the ump and HC lead to the HC being relocated to the parking lot.

Sep 29, 2014
well since you can't argue a judgement call....

one of those umpires smart enough to know that making sure the decision rest on his judgement makes it non protestable

and hey she had to run all the way over there and ended up dropping it so it obviously wasn't ordinary effort

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Ump did not call "infield fly" on this play. When questioned about the decision by defensive HC, ump refused to acknowledge it as a routine play.
The resulting discussion between the ump and HC lead to the HC being relocated to the parking lot.

Yeah I can see not calling that an infield fly. And I can also see it being called an infield fly. She was on the run the whole way to the ball and she never really ever 'had it' - but at the same time she really should have had it... ugh.. borderline. I've watched it 3 or 4 times and I am still on the fence but kinda leaning towards calling it. But then on the field... Ugh... probably sticking with my first thought.

One of the guidelines I was taught that I have mentioned before for calling IFF as the plate ump... look up and see the ball, look down and see if there is a fielder settling under it and try to call it at or just past the apex of the hit. If I went solely on that (which I don't - it is just one guideline) I can absolutely see not calling this an IFF.

Coach is an idiot to get thrown over this. It is not a gross mistake by any stretch.

Jun 11, 2013
If you are on defense you can never be upset when the IFF is not called. Just catch the ball. The IFF is not a free out for the defense. It's to protect the offense.

Now if the ball had rolled to F5 and she stepped on 3rd and threw to 2nd for a DP I could see the offenseive coach complaining.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The SS cruised to the spot she attempted to catch the ball. We’re not talking about 10U rec ball players. This was 14U TB. Moving 15-20’ at an easy pace to make a catch is a pretty ordinary effort at this level.

That said, she should have made the catch. A 14U TB player shouldn’t miss one that simple.

Mar 28, 2014
Yeah I can see not calling that an infield fly. And I can also see it being called an infield fly. She was on the run the whole way to the ball and she never really ever 'had it' - but at the same time she really should have had it... ugh.. borderline. I've watched it 3 or 4 times and I am still on the fence but kinda leaning towards calling it. But then on the field... Ugh... probably sticking with my first thought.

One of the guidelines I was taught that I have mentioned before for calling IFF as the plate ump... look up and see the ball, look down and see if there is a fielder settling under it and try to call it at or just past the apex of the hit. If I went solely on that (which I don't - it is just one guideline) I can absolutely see not calling this an IFF.

Coach is an idiot to get thrown over this. It is not a gross mistake by any stretch.
Have to be honest, your thoughts on this surprise the heck out of me. I looked at it and thought it was an easy IF call. Shocked that an umpire sees it as borderline. "Twas a no brainer IFly call to me but what do I know? Obviously not as much as I thought!

Jun 7, 2019
I watched this many times, but not for the IF Rule. Here's what I noticed. First, the umpire's enthusiasm in making that call at 3rd was truly underwhelming.

The biggest issue is that the defensive coach came out to argue. Argue what? He ended up with an out and runners still on 1st & 2nd. Who cares how he got that result?

But the biggest issue was what the coach was arguing about. The throw to 3rd was late! Watch it again, and then another time. The toss from the catcher from foul territory was slow - and did NOT beat the runner's slide into 3rd. The plate umpire started to ring her up before she even got there. She had her knees bent after sliding into the bag, while the ball was still not in the 3Bman's glove. I had to enlarge the video and focus on the left side to see it, but there it is. The guy gets an out where there was none, and then gets tossed in the process of arguing for the IF out that wasn't called. Ya gotta love an unhinged coach.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
I watched this many times, but not for the IF Rule. Here's what I noticed. First, the umpire's enthusiasm in making that call at 3rd was truly underwhelming.

The biggest issue is that the defensive coach came out to argue. Argue what? He ended up with an out and runners still on 1st & 2nd. Who cares how he got that result?

But the biggest issue was what the coach was arguing about. The throw to 3rd was late! Watch it again, and then another time. The toss from the catcher from foul territory was slow - and did NOT beat the runner's slide into 3rd. The plate umpire started to ring her up before she even got there. She had her knees bent after sliding into the bag, while the ball was still not in the 3Bman's glove. I had to enlarge the video and focus on the left side to see it, but there it is. The guy gets an out where there was none, and then gets tossed in the process of arguing for the IF out that wasn't called. Ya gotta love an unhinged coach.
I don't see an out call, I see a fair ball signal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jun 7, 2019
I don't see an out call, I see a fair ball signal.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Yeh...could be. It would explain his lack of enthusiasm on a force out. Doesn't really explain why he'd feel the need to point fair on a ball touched 15' off the foul line, and wait for the runner (who was standing on 2nd when the ball was dropped) to slide into 3rd before doing it. But it would explain why the defensive coach was so hot under the collar.

Upon further review 😁, I think I'll just assume it was not one of this guy's finest officiating moments, and agree it was an unnecessary and poorly timed fair ball signal rather than a half assed and poorly timed out call.

I stand corrected. Thanks Comocoach!

Mar 28, 2014
We had a home plate umpire call an Infield Fly this weekend with runners only on 2nd and 3rd. Umpiring is getting really really bad.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K