Infield fly ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2019
New Hampshire
Runners on 1st and 2nd 1 out infield playing in... batter hits the ball straight up and lands literally 6 inches on the grass. It should have been caught by the ss but she lost it in the sun. My question is shouldn’t infield fly have been called? When is the correct moment to call infield fly? An ump cannot assume it’s gonna hit the outfield grass the way the ball was hit it looked like an infield pop up.
Thoughts??

Jun 11, 2013
It doesn't matter if the ball hits the grass or not. If the umpire believes it's should be reasonable caught by any infielder they should call IFF.

May 1, 2019
Depends on the home plate ump the team on defense and whether or not the ump believes it shoulda been caught. It's not automatic of that is what ur thinking.

Sep 19, 2018
++ on the first two replies. I'll add / ask what age? Infield in and a ball that reaches the grass is certainly not a routine play at 12U. Last week in an 14U all-star tourny, First play of the game, the second baseman dropped an easy pop-up. Then proceeded to kick the next two balls hit to her that inning. There was a new second baseman to start the 2nd. First batter of the inning, she dropped a pop-up. I truly felt for that pitcher.

Mar 1, 2013
"Ordinary effort" is the wording used, I believe. I adjust my judgement on those for the level (10U vs 18U vs Special Olympics, for example), but in general, your high pop-up around the infield is going to get the IF call from me. It's 100% umpire judgement on whether it should have been called.

Jun 23, 2019
New Hampshire
14u class A good players and I always thought it was a judgment call it seemed clear cut for that call as the ss looked up the-sun got her it dropped. Runners all moved up, leading to a nice line drive double by the next batter clearing the bases followed by groans of the non call.
No sour grapes lol just interesting on my part

Jun 11, 2013
When you are on defense you never have the right to complain when it's not called. The rule is to protect the offense, not give a cheap out to the defense.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
"Ordinary effort" is the wording used, I believe. I adjust my judgement on those for the level (10U vs 18U vs Special Olympics, for example), but in general, your high pop-up around the infield is going to get the IF call from me. It's 100% umpire judgement on whether it should have been called.

Was that my Dd?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22