Index finger padding?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
DD catches with her index finger outside of the mitt and she has been complaining about the finger taking a beating. Has anyone ever ran across this issue and what did you do to resolve it? My first thought is to glue some type of padding onto the glove just not sure what would work well? She isn’t a fan of wearing under gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 13, 2015
DD catches with her index finger outside of the mitt and she has been complaining about the finger taking a beating. Has anyone ever ran across this issue and what did you do to resolve it? My first thought is to glue some type of padding onto the glove just not sure what would work well? She isn’t a fan of wearing under gloves.

I warmup 2-3 pitchers every game. I put 2 fingers in the pinky slot and then index finger is outside and moved out 1 spot. (Where the bird finger goes). Helps a lot.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Get a better mitt. My DD complained that her index finger was swollen like a hot dog after catching pitchers that were throwing 60mph+. I got her a Wilson A2000 2 years ago and never complained again. Spend the money. It's worth it.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I'm in agreement with Orange Socks. Go in on a good catcher mitt. I use a Vinci catcher mitt and once I finally got it broke in, I fell in love with it. You can't go wrong with a good mitt. Of course, I still use a Palmgard because catching 60+ mph fastballs makes my hand sting.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Thanks for all the responses but it isn’t glove quality that is the problem. I attached a picture that shows what is happening. The finger starts out on the pad but slides over towards the pocket of the mitt. The upper and outer part of the finger is what takes the beating. I really like the sheath that the All Star 3000 comes with and I believe that would fix the issue but I don’t know of any leather shops around here that would be able to complete. I ordered some XRD padding that I will try to glue in the area where the finger slides towards the pocket. Hoping the glue will hold.
d657b01154875b019f554d4670f29f11.jpg
d657b01154875b019f554d4670f29f11.jpg

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Can't tell, is that a Mizuno mitt? I agree with Orange Socks & gabby, if that is a Mizuno, time for an upgrade! Vinci mitts have THE best palm padding, period. And my All-Star CMW3000 which also has great padding.......has the index finger hood, which I put my index finger on the outside (on top) of the hood which adds another layer of leather under my index finger.

KCPhoto is right, TIP is one way to eliminate index finger pain with her current mitt, but me personally, I like wearing a catchers mitt traditional, so for 60+ mph pitching, a better mitt is the fix!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Or a cheaper route to try first, buy her a Palmgard or Xprotex Reaktr inner glove! $25 to $35 and no break-in, that's if she don't mind wearing an inner glove? Just a thought.

Feb 19, 2016
Texas
I really like the sheath that the All Star 3000 comes with and I believe that would fix the issue but I don’t know of any leather shops around here that would be able to complete. I ordered some XRD padding that I will try to glue in the area where the finger slides towards the pocket.
I hate to sound like an All-Star 3000 homer at this point, but that's exactly what I though of when I saw your thread. Plus, it keeps the finger out of harm's way during a tag. They also make a single finger pad instead of a glove, but we've never had any experience with one of those. They don't look very practical. You might just cut the finger out of a work glove, and glue it down to the finger pad. It may be time to get used to an inner glove. Or... get the All-Star 3000. It takes a little wile to break in, but it's a nice glove for the price.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Can't tell, is that a Mizuno mitt? I agree with Orange Socks & gabby, if that is a Mizuno, time for an upgrade! Vinci mitts have THE best palm padding, period. And my All-Star CMW3000 which also has great padding.......has the index finger hood, which I put my index finger on the outside (on top) of the hood which adds another layer of leather under my index finger.

KCPhoto is right, TIP is one way to eliminate index finger pain with her current mitt, but me personally, I like wearing a catchers mitt traditional, so for 60+ mph pitching, a better mitt is the fix!

Yes it is a Mizuno, her team is required to use Mizuno gloves. So I need to try something to help resolve the issue. She really likes the mitt though and prefers it over the Vinci 22 & VM that she has had. It may be because this is her first 34”.......

May 6, 2015
DD is not nearly at the level that team has to use a certain manufacturer, but to me it would seem if you have to use Mizuno, get them involved in the issue. Contact them (team must have some type of relationship), describe the problem, and ask if they can help to resolve it. they might be grateful for the information, and have your DD test out their possible solutions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802