Increasing communication.....and candy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
So we noticed something last night at our first practice....we were running some situational full defensive work, we had 3 new girls out of 10 at practice

we have LONG struggled with getting our catchers to be vocal......we just have a couple of quiet catchers, they have been working on it, but they are just not the load type

all of our girls tend to be pretty quiet.....they are great teammates, very supportive, all very solid players.....they just don't talk a ton.....they will call fly balls just fine, but the little things.....2b is going to the bag when 1b roams to get a ground ball, and she doesn't always let the 1b know she's there......the 1b KNOWS she is going to be there, but we want them talking.....'here here here' 'ive got bag' - something to take the thinking out

all the girls were moving every play, they know the game, they just don't communicate a ton for whatever reason......they will tell someone nice play after the fact, or pick up a teammate when needed.......but they aren't talkers

so thursday at practice i'm bringing bags of starburst.......giving them to all the coaches.....every time a girl talks....in play, after play, before play.......they're getting a starburst......i get the dynamic of female athletes and the reward system, it really seems to work......i know as the 3 new players integrate and as we get back together communication will improve, but they've never been talkers......so we're trying this

any other ideas? does this sound like i'm on the right track?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Without knowing the group of players or coaches you have out on the field I share this.~

Sometimes teams get into listening mode. Where they may have a coach that is constantly telling players what to do. Sometimes when coaches are directing everything, players don't have to talk because they can just follow.

What I like to do is ask people/players for their response. It is an 'inclusive' way of communicating.
Rather than directing way of communicating.
I've heard coaches that have said
" My outfielders do not adjust."
I asked
"Do you do this... wave your hand in front of your face or wave your hand behind your head indicating move in or move out?"
And they say
"yes that's how I run my team"
I said
" Then you've trained them to react to you, not react to the situation on their own.
In other words they are following the coach telling them what to do instead of the coach giving them the responsibility to do it themselves!

Simply suggesting that there are coaches who run their teams and the players are expected to do the work but not talk.
And other situations coaches encourage players to lead themselves by communicating!

Ask for answers = interacting !
&
Encourage Leadership = Communication !

Good Luck!

Last edited:
May 20, 2015
We have a lot of quiet leader/lead by example types.....they’ve all been through some leadership training, they are all leaders with their school teams....somehow they’ve come together and are quiet lol

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
We have a lot of quiet leader/lead by example types.....they’ve all been through some leadership training, they are all leaders with their school teams....somehow they’ve come together and are quiet lol
Rally RALLY Rally RALLY
Sounds like their figuring out the new dynamics ;)

Try more fun....

At practice would do a fun voice excersise....
Everyone has to say/yell something.
Have the catcher point to each player
Like an orchestra leader....
1. Here we go
2. We got this
3. Go defense
4. Work hard
5. Bring it
6. Tough D
7. Team up
8. Yells how many outs
9. Lets do it

Get it going, speed it up,
Lets hear our softball voices!
*Communicating is a neccessary skill set !!

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
I like the term "joystick coaching"... It's like playing a video game for some coaches to micromanage everything. I've done it, especially with young players. I totally agree with the kids have to learn how to react for themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45