Incorrect Rule Interpretations - a running list

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2015
The Frozen Tundra
3-2 count batter thought 2nd strike was 3rd strike. batter returned to dugout. Ump called her out for leaving field of play. Now this was 10u and I was a first year coach so did not know better.

Next week asked another ump about the call and said it was the stupidest thing he had heard in 20 years of umping.

Nov 9, 2019
Plate umpires have been known to loose track of the count. If catcher dropped the ball umpire may have thought dropped third strike and called her out for leaving field of play. Otherwise sound s like he thought he was calling a college game.

Aug 25, 2019
3-2 count batter thought 2nd strike was 3rd strike. batter returned to dugout. Ump called her out for leaving field of play. Now this was 10u and I was a first year coach so did not know better.

Next week asked another ump about the call and said it was the stupidest thing he had heard in 20 years of umping.
I had the same call this summer, 12u. I had her come back and finish batting. The rule states if a batter-runner or a runner leaves the field of play she is out, doesn't say anything about batter.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Plate umpires have been known to loose track of the count. If catcher dropped the ball umpire may have thought dropped third strike and called her out for leaving field of play. Otherwise sound s like he thought he was calling a college game.
Not sure why you're referencing "calling a college game". We don't call a college batter out for mistakenly going into the dugout when she thought her at-bat ended. In fact, I can't think of any rule set that says this.

Now, all sanctions have rules requiring a batter to be ready after a certain amount of time (usually ten seconds) for the next pitch. If she doesn't comply with this requirement, the rules typically allow for the plate umpire to call a strike on the batter as a penalty.

So an umpire could rule that if the batter takes off for the dugout, her clock is running and if she doesn't get back into the batter's box in time, the penalty strike can result in a third strike for an out. But that's really an extreme ruling that most umpires won't use. What we normally do is just call out to the batter to get back to the plate.

Nov 9, 2019
Not sure why you're referencing "calling a college game". We don't call a college batter out for mistakenly going into the dugout when she thought her at-bat ended. In fact, I can't think of any rule set that says this.

Now, all sanctions have rules requiring a batter to be ready after a certain amount of time (usually ten seconds) for the next pitch. If she doesn't comply with this requirement, the rules typically allow for the plate umpire to call a strike on the batter as a penalty.

So an umpire could rule that if the batter takes off for the dugout, her clock is running and if she doesn't get back into the batter's box in time, the penalty strike can result in a third strike for an out. But that's really an extreme ruling that most umpires won't use. What we normally do is just call out to the batter to get back to the plate.
My reference to a college

Nov 9, 2019
My reference to a college game should have been clearer. In 10u and even in 12u most umpires are willing to and even enjoy helping these young players learn the rules. These I consider great umpires. Then you at times run across an umpire that thinks they should know the rules at 10 or 12. Most adults that work with the girls don't know all the rules as they don't come up often, change and not aware, so having an umpire willing to explain with a quick few words or between innings is good for all.

Aug 25, 2019
I'll be starting calling games July 11th and I was brushing up on rules, and I should know this one. Is this interference on runner from 1st to 2nd?

The runner doesn't have to slide, but if the the runner sees she's gonna be out at 2nd on a force, she can keep going straight into the bag, thus blocking a good throw to first. I say the runner does not have to duck or get out of the way, it's up to the fielder to step to the side and make a throw, am I correct?

Jun 22, 2008
That runner was a half step away from 2nd when the ball got there. Not a chance in the world Im calling that interference.

Jun 22, 2008
Sentiment seems to be turning against it since NCAA started calling this interference, but I was always taught the runner cannot simply just disappear from the field, so as long as they are headed straight to where they were supposed to be going it is the defenses responsibility to play around that runner. Unless that runner does something other than just run straight for the base I'm not going to call that interference.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22