Incorrect Rule Interpretations - a running list

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

This was my point exactly no need to follow the rules of strike zone lets just make up our own strike zone lets see today I think the top of the strike zone should be the belly button. I agree armpit high ball is hard to hit. But follow rules if you don’t agree petition to change rules. But until then follow rules.

May 29, 2015
Popup lands on the right edge of the chalk 30 feet past 1B. Ump calls it foul because the line runs down the middle of the chalk and it hit on the foul side of that line.

I almost thought this might have been me ... except I called it fair. Coach came out saying it looked foul and I opened mouth and inserted foot: “Coach, it hit chalk. It hit on the foul side of the line, but it hit the line.”

Umpire note: never, NEVER, say “it hit the foul side of the line”. While not technically incorrect, it is a tough to one walk back because the coach always hears it differently.

May 29, 2015
Unsure on this one. Runner at 2B collides with SS fielding a grounder. Dead ball interference. Runner out. Batter goes to 1B

Or

Delayed dead ball. SS throws runner out at 1B anyway. Both are out.

I’ve had it called both ways. USSSA rule says the first way is right. But 18.8.H also says runner closest to home is out if illegal act by their team prevents a runner from being put out.

So I guess which is it. Same for batter interferes with throw to 3rd. Rule says dead ball batter out.

What if they clearly would have been thrown out. Are both out then as well.

Same for BR going backwards between 1B and home. Does that illegal act get another runner called out if it prevents a clear out from happening?

How liberal do you get with 18.8.H?

Assuming you mean 8.18.H ... as I read it, there isn’t too much wiggle room really. It spells out specific scenarios when it can be applied. You cannot tack it on to another rule or double-apply it (e.g., the batter runner retreating). The purpose of 8.18.H is to include possibilities of other sources of interference (e.g., retired runners, the dugout, etc.).

Scenario one (interference on a defender making a play): NEVER a delayed dead ball if it is interference. Obstruction is a delayed dead ball. Yes, the umpire could call both the runner and batter-runner out if she/he feels a double play was possible.

Scenario two (batter interference): Yes, batter is out, dead ball, all runners go back. No, you cannot call any of the runners out regardless of what may have happened.

Scenario three (BR retreats toward home): batter is out, all runners go back. No, you cannot call any of the runners out regardless of what may have happened. Logic here is that a fielder attempting a tag instead of throwing to the bag is likely not attempting a double play.

May 29, 2015
USSSA 12U Batter steps out of box in the way of catchers throw to 3rd. Is called out for interference. Coaches and parents and girls are clueless. Have no idea what rule is or how to not get called out. Parents coaches all yelling stay in the box. This is deep in national tournament winners bracket. Umpire stops gams and establishes control. Announcing loudly to everyone that batters box is the batters. Catcher has to go around her whatever she does as long as she’s in the box. If she is outside the box and interferes both batter and runner closest to home will be out.

Incorrect. See previous post on batter’s interference.

May 29, 2015
Last one. Usssa my reading of the rules seems to tell me that pretty much in all cases a runner must avoid a fielder. Can’t make contact if fielder is on the bag when no play is being made. Can’t make contact in the base path rundown or not fielder has ball or not. If fielder is obstructing runner must slide or go around and hope ump calls obstruction. If they contact the fielder it is interference and overrides obstruction. They are out. I’ve never seen it coached or called this way so I’m guessing I’m reading it wrong?

Rundown between home and 3rd at LL WS last week. Runner clearly had to go around the 3rd baseman standing in front of bag waiting on the ball. Was tagged out instead of getting obstruction.

You are reading it incorrectly. Yes, interference and malicious contact take precedence. So ...

R2 runs around F6 who is standing in the base path without th ball or a play. Obstruction. R2 now crashes into F5 who is moving to her left to make a play on the ball. Interference. Interference takes precedence.

R2 is running toward F6 who is standing in the base path without the ball or a play. R2 starts to change her path. Obstruction. R2 decides to to return to her path and take out F6. R2 folds her arms and drops her shoulder ... malicious contact takes precedence and we have an ejection to boot.

R1 approaches second base and is attempting to round it. F4 is standing on the bag without the ball or an initial play. R1 checks up her run and stops on the bag but casually makes inadvertent contact with F4. Obstruction.

Nov 18, 2015
I almost thought this might have been me ... except I called it fair. Coach came out saying it looked foul and I opened mouth and inserted foot: “Coach, it hit chalk. It hit on the foul side of the line, but it hit the line.”

Umpire note: never, NEVER, say “it hit the foul side of the line”. While not technically incorrect, it is a tough to one walk back because the coach always hears it differently.
The few times I've chalked a field, we stick a nail at home, and run a string down the 1B line to split the safety bag. I would then try to keep the string centered under the field marker / chalk dispenser.

However, reading the above just made me realize that I was effectively extending fair territory by about 2" (if using a 4" stripe). I should have kept the string at the right edge of the dispenser, not the middle. 😱

If only it was that easy to expand the strike zone when my daughter pitches...

May 29, 2015
The few times I've chalked a field, we stick a nail at home, and run a string down the 1B line to split the safety bag. I would then try to keep the string centered under the field marker / chalk dispenser.

However, reading the above just made me realize that I was effectively extending fair territory by about 2" (if using a 4" stripe). I should have kept the string at the right edge of the dispenser, not the middle. 😱

If only it was that easy to expand the strike zone when my daughter pitches...

If you were to draw that line like a drunken sailor, the umpire has the option of using the line anyway. It’s the same line for both teams.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
T
You are right that there is not uniformity across codes. NCAA wants the safe sign. Neither NHFS nor USA has any dropped third strike mechanic in their manuals. Both say no safe sign in their clinics.

This was a follow the leader move. A signal is used to indicate the result of play. On a DTS, the batter-runner is neither safe nor out, but still in jeopardy pending action by the defense or lack of action by the offense

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802