Incentivizing $oftball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
When I give her BP, $20 if she can break my nose. never had to pay up on either yet, but hoping to someday on the first at least.
I would be very careful with this one. A close friend of mine was throwing front toss to his 14u team and was very nearly killed by a linedrive to the head. He suffered a badly fractured skull. The ball hit him squarely in the forehead and if he had turned his head before the impact the injury would likely have been fatal.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I've had a standing "bet" with DD since 12U: hit one over the fence and I'll give you a "Benjamin".

In October 2017 ,as a second-year 14U, she finally parked one.

after that, I re-anted up and told her: hit 2 in one day (can be in different game) and I'll give you a "Benjamin".
She did that last June in the HS State semi-final and final. (we won the state title)

after that, I re-anted up and told her: hit 2 in the same game and I'll give you a "Benjamin".
She did that last July in a travel ball showcase.

This year, I re-anted up and told her: for every HR you hit, I'll buy you an ice cream.
I'm sick of losing "Benjamins". lol

Jun 12, 2015
No way. I remember a trend in 8U where parents started paying for HRs. DD once asked if we'd give her $5 for a homerun. Heck no. You hit a homerun because it feels good, because you want to help your team, because you want to accomplish something great. Not for $5. But I do tend to stay away from rewards and punishments as a general rule. I feel like if anything, she should pay me. Softball is expensive.

Apr 26, 2015
I have a standing deal with DD that when she hits her first OTF HR I will give her $!00. She has hit several in the park HRs and last fall we were playing on a field with no temp fences. She hit the 233" baseball fence twice in one game but it didn't go over....we're still waiting. Other than that - no....except for the occasional ice cream. ;)

May 6, 2015
I would be very careful with this one. A close friend of mine was throwing front toss to his 14u team and was very nearly killed by a linedrive to the head. He suffered a badly fractured skull. The ball hit him squarely in the forehead and if he had turned his head before the impact the injury would likely have been fatal.
kinda moot point now, I cannot pitch fast enough anymore to give her any meaningful BP. would have to be from machine (I still told them same thing), but then I have a net to hide behind after I feed machine.

May 6, 2015
up until recently, I was confident in my ability to protect myself. now my lack of pitching ability makes it moot. and on the HR cash, she is never going to be a power hitter, so it really is a long shot she gets that anytime within next couple of year. more like a bonus for extraordinary acheivement

Dec 15, 2012
1). I have never paid daughters to play softball. I do buy them anything they want to eat after tournaments and long/hot practices.
2). In Laws started paying my nephew $100 for OTF homeruns. This same standard has also applied to DD. She’s not a power hitter, so she has not hit them too hard over the years, but she is always excited when she hits a HR. They also slip her $20s for pitching wins in HS. I’m honestly not sure how I feel about the situation, but the both enjoy it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee