In tournament recovery methods

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2012
Folks, there are more than mine locally that pitch 5-6 games a day. I can't tell you what their training schedule during the week is like but if their not training correctly or their work ethic isn't what it should be then they are going to hurt themselves. You wouldn't expect a person to run a marathon out of the blue would you? You would have to train hard for it and then your body would be able to handle it. I have a D1 PC who made it on a solid work ethic and what she did at 10u is MUCH more than my daughter is doing. If their body is prepared correctly and the weekly workouts are balanced correctly and slowly increased then their body can handle it IF THEY ARE THROWING CORRECTLY. I do not live my days as a pitcher through pushing my daughter, but I know a strong work ethic will carry her far in life. I don't care if she plays at the college level, that will be her decision just as her continuing to pitch now is. We are having the time of our lives together and the bond pitching has created is very strong. I know she loves it and will continue to foster that until she doesn't.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
My DD has always been on teams that had 3 pitchers.
I would never have put her on a team that only had 1 pitcher. Currently her 18u team has 4 strong pitchers and 1 back up pitcher. The coach rotates them throughout the weekend.
Seen so many very young pitchers who were dominant at the early levels get overused and abused and now they do not pitch any more.
My DD has never had to pitch 5-6 games in a weekend, ever. I would never allow it. I suppose it's a personal decision but looking back in hindsight and watching the progress of the many teams and players in our softball community its been a good decision for us.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Folks, there are more than mine locally that pitch 5-6 games a day. I can't tell you what their training schedule during the week is like but if their not training correctly or their work ethic isn't what it should be then they are going to hurt themselves. You wouldn't expect a person to run a marathon out of the blue would you? You would have to train hard for it and then your body would be able to handle it. I have a D1 PC who made it on a solid work ethic and what she did at 10u is MUCH more than my daughter is doing. If their body is prepared correctly and the weekly workouts are balanced correctly and slowly increased then their body can handle it IF THEY ARE THROWING CORRECTLY. I do not live my days as a pitcher through pushing my daughter, but I know a strong work ethic will carry her far in life. I don't care if she plays at the college level, that will be her decision just as her continuing to pitch now is. We are having the time of our lives together and the bond pitching has created is very strong. I know she loves it and will continue to foster that until she doesn't.

The truth of the matter is, that there are lots of women out there who trained and pitched just like you dd does without any bad affects. However, you should pay attention to what people who have either played college softball, or who have coached girls all the way to college, or who have dds who played college. When they are saying that the regimen your dd is on can have bad affects later. you should consider that perhaps they know a thing or two. They are not guaranteeing that your dd will have problems, they are saying the chances are much higher for your dd that she will suffer a long term chronic issue. Look up Kensie Fowler and what her father is saying now about the affects of too much training and pitching at a young age. Decide for yourself, but its a risk for a short (relative to the rest of her life) career in a game for what may be a life time of limitation and pain.

rex

Jan 24, 2009
It is well known by most knowledgeable pitching instructors that growth plates are very vulnerable to serious permanent injury until a girl gets past PUBERTY and the growth plates solidify. When a pitcher below this age is worked too much it will set up the great likelihood of permanent damage to the growth plates not only in the shoulder but the plant ankle, knee and hip. It is also well known that recent studies have been done on softball pitchers because of the notion that correct mechanics prevent injury. The study showed that over-use is the culprit even with correct mechanic pitchers.
On then topic of keeping cool and hydrated, try keeping a bucket full of icy water in the dugout. When the girls come off the field, all but the first 2 batters need to dunk their hands in the icy water. It will cool them off quickly. Neck towels can be used out of this bucket as well.

Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for all the replies. Some real good ideas in here. Sleep patterns in summer are a problem for DD. On the issue of overuse, which was not my question, but...

I have a soft limit on games/innings/pitches. And for the most part she is gassed by that point. 3 games/15 innings/300 pitches in one day. Or 4/20/400 over 2 days. 5/25/500 week, with some leeway in each number. At that level she is tired, with some muscle soreness, but fine the next day. We use ice, a lot. We have not practiced pitching in over 6 weeks except for a 30-40 pitch "tune up" with her PC. This is a higher limit than I had wanted, but she convinced me that she could do this, so I have let her have a say. We have two other pitchers, so she knows when she is done, just let the coaches know. She is 18-4 as a starter this year, with 6 more games she tried to save, and none of her teammates say anything negative when she is done for a day or a game. All the pressure from the coaches goes on the other pitchers to step up.

I am not building a college softball player. She will have to do that on her own. Goal here is fun. I am only going to help her realize how good she is at something she loves to do, and have fun playing a great game, with some good friends she has know for years. Her only goal (that I know of) is be the starter in HS. And as such I want to try to do the best I can to make sure she can raise her arm over her head at 40 without pain.

As she walks to that circle I ask her "what is the most important thing about pitching?" to which she says "to have fun". Coach dad's job is complete, except to get more ice and water.

Dec 9, 2011
Pitching dad could you post a video of your daughter pitching in practice or a game? Interested in her mechanics that you say are so good. I guess you have her pitching 10 different pitches as well.. I would get rid of that pitching coach because she doesn't see any harm.

Jun 13, 2012
I agree with most all of the posts on here,never really thought I had "a secret or genetically better DD" I guess I'm old school on the work harder, attain more from yourself attitude. It has served me well in my life. I will keep an eye on the over working issue for sure. Good stuff, thanks from everyone who has posted on this. I don't think myself or my DD as better than anyone else. Just an average Dad with an average DD.

Hard work will most always out perform natural talent if that talent isn't fully developed.

Jun 13, 2012
I agree with most all of the posts on here,never really thought I had "a secret or genetically better DD" I guess I'm old school on the work harder, attain more from yourself attitude. It has served me well in my life. I will keep an eye on the over working issue for sure. Good stuff, thanks from everyone who has posted on this. I don't think myself or my DD as better than anyone else. Just an average Dad with an average DD.

Hard work will most always out perform natural talent if that talent isn't fully developed.

Jun 13, 2012
Screwball I never posted that. My DD PC lessons are usually 1.5 hrs long and not 20-30 pitches. I have come completely clean. You guys know more pitching than I. Never really considered the growth plate issue, this is exactly why I get on this site, to learn from the guru's.

Mar 31, 2011
Sorry if you do not believe Screwball. In those 6 weeks, she pitched in about 4 games each week, and warmed up for every game. No need for more PRACTICE. As far as a THE tune up with PC, that was all that was needed. Just got done with 300 pitch weekend and had to pitch that night. 40 pitches was enough for him to give her pointers on how to fix each pitch that was sometimes off. Otherwise sees PC from Sept thru April for 30 every week.

College I hope she takes a new adventure on. But it is her choice, and she may well choose softball. But it will not be me pushing her.

As for your approval of what I post, it is not needed. I use this site to find information and tips to do the best I can for my DD. My DD is having the time of her life, with great success. That is all that matters.

Btw she is a south paw, and her go to pitch right now is the screwball. She loves that pitch, and has struck out many girls with it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812