In search of a unicorn...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2019
I apologize in advance for beating the dead horse. I’m in search of a unicorn and have yet to find it.
Is there a video, or series of videos, that breakdown the correct swing and bat path with slow motion clips or still shots?

DD’s are 11 and just getting serious about softball. They have never been big hitters and after doing some research into hitting, their form is terrible. Timing is off, dropping the barrel of the bat too early, not bringing weight forward after load, squishing the bug just to name a few.

Before I waste hours in the garage teaching them outdated techniques I found on YouTube videos made before they were born, would any one reading this have some insight on where to begin or point me in the right direction? I'm a stickler to details but the technical hitting forum makes my head spin. I'm looking for something simpler to get me started.

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2014
If you want the basic primer this is a video we usually suggest....but do not fear the technical. Honestly we don't bite...post a video, you will get constructive criticism along with helpful hints...take what you like and dump the rest you will be fine.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
On YouTube, search for videos of top hitters in baseball and softball (suggestions to get started - Mike Trout, Albert Pujols, Alyssa DiCarlo, Alex Hugo). Use the "settings" in the video to adjust playback speed. Use "." and "," keys to scroll frame by frame. Boom! A whole herd of unicorns!!

Also, these two videos have been pretty helpful for getting young players pointed in a good direction...

Oct 3, 2019
On YouTube, search for videos of top hitters in baseball and softball (suggestions to get started - Mike Trout, Albert Pujols, Alyssa DiCarlo, Alex Hugo). Use the "settings" in the video to adjust playback speed. Use "." and "," keys to scroll frame by frame. Boom! A whole herd of unicorns!!

Also, these two videos have been pretty helpful for getting young players pointed in a good direction...

I had no idea you could do that with YouTube. I really don't want to tell you how many hours I've wasted trying to scroll back and forth.

Thank you for the replies. I will start trying to fix their swing with these videos and hopefully post to the technical side in a month or so.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I had no idea you could do that with YouTube. I really don't want to tell you how many hours I've wasted trying to scroll back and forth.

Thank you for the replies. I will start trying to fix their swing with these videos and hopefully post to the technical side in a month or so.

Get the sequence right first. It will help everything else fall in place much easier.

Last edited: