Improving Bat speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
4th best outfielder on DD's HS team would be starting if she had better bat speed. Good eye-hand coordination and good swing mechanics. Against slower pitching she puts the ball in play, can't catch up to fast pitching. She is very coachable and asks good questions. Anyone have information on good drills she can work on this summer and fall to improve bat speed?

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Video would be great. Could be timing. But heavy bats mixed w light bats gets you stronger and faster. 60/40 ratio is what I do. Then hit with regular bat.

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks @GunnerShotgun I may only have a GIF of her swing from the side. When I have time I'll dig through game footage to get some video from behind her. My DW is a former college D3 tennis player and works with hitter's some. She is looking through her phone to see what video she might have from practice.

Will get video at our scrimmage next week before playoffs start.

She goes to the same hitting coach as my DD, but hasn't gone since the season started. Will talk some to the hitting coach this weekend.

Player just got back last week from 6 weeks on DL. DW says she pulls her head some, mostly batspeed, but some timing.

Two t-swings:

Jun 8, 2016
Thanks @GunnerShotgun I may only have a GIF of her swing from the side. When I have time I'll dig through game footage to get some video from behind her. My DW is a former college D3 tennis player and works with hitter's some. She is looking through her phone to see what video she might have from practice.

Will get video at our scrimmage next week before playoffs start.

She goes to the same hitting coach as my DD, but hasn't gone since the season started. Will talk some to the hitting coach this weekend.

Player just got back last week from 6 weeks on DL. DW says she pulls her head some, mostly batspeed, but some timing.

Two t-swings:

Need to make the vid public.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
From the view, looks like she spins. No weight shift so no stretch so less speed early w some drag. Just a tee swing but w the lack of ‘speed’ explained and seeing the size of player w a leading back elbow, velocity can only be hit way out front. Bat speed is not the issue. Learn how to leverage the body first before swinging. Good luck!

1652482484798.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28