Importance of Bat Angle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
Do you guys prefer the barrel of the bat to be angled back towards the pitcher over the hitters head or angled behind the head barrel pointing towards SS at toe touch? Or is this a non teach? Many elite hitters have the barrel over the pointing at pitcher at toe touch. What are those advantages/disadvantages?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Think it a non teach. Experimenting with it and exaggerating it can be used to get the hitter to feel the pivot point better.

Sep 29, 2014
As a general rule at a 45 degree angle bisceting the head with the barrel pointing over somewhere in left field. I don't think it's a huge teach unless something is out of line too much I would probably try for a little correction if the bat was straight up and down or pointing at the pitcher but it doesn't really have anything to do with barrel position it is the position their arms, wrists and hands are in that is causing that.

Aug 20, 2017
Shawns photo is the purpose for my question. So many of the videos of the DDs people post on here have the barrel behind the head and some pointing towards shortstop for a righty but it’s never addressed. I think neck slot teaching has encouraged this some. Trying to figure out why this mechanic is important due to it being so prevalent in elite swings. Seems the neck slot swing will cause a slightly longer bat path

Apr 17, 2019
I teach knob points to the catcher's feet. It's definitely a teach in my experience. The tendency in young kids is to either overload and wrap it behind the head, or leak and start the knob pointing to pitcher. /shrug.

Aug 20, 2017
I teach knob points to the catcher's feet. It's definitely a teach in my experience. The tendency in young kids is to either overload and wrap it behind the head, or leak and start the knob pointing to pitcher. /shrug.
Do you like preset some of the knob towards catcher in stance?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

I've tried Bonds hand action (knob pointing toward catchers feet) and it feels very powerful. It just felt good.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28