Illegal step/hop?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2021
We've given up on illegal pitches being called other than girls stepping on with their hands together. Our pitching instructor started teaching my daughter the Monica Abbot delivery, including the extra illegal step.

Curious why of all illegal pitches is stepping on with the hands together one that you are concerned with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Every time this discussion comes up I feel like such a chump for all the lessons, time, and money spent on making sure DD has a legal delivery.

I understand why umpires don't call it.

When an umpire enforces the rule, there is always a brouhaha with the coach, and then the fans get riled up.

Jul 16, 2019
Curious why of all illegal pitches is stepping on with the hands together one that you are concerned with?

because for that one, a pitcher can correct it if she pays attention and remembers to step on the mount with hands separated. So once the umpire calls it once, the pitcher has a chance to correct without being called again and again. But for stepping thing and crow hop, pitcher can not change her mechanics on the spot. Most likely the umpire will have to call the illegal pitches again and again.

Dec 6, 2019

Maybe reread that. I'm not concerned about that at all. I said that's the only illegal pitch that ever gets called.

Aug 21, 2008
Many umpires (and probably many on this board, sorry folks) don't know the difference between a crow hop and a leap. Both are illegal under the rules but, the spirit of the rule was to stop the crow hop. The leap was an unintended consequence that most didn't see coming. Leaping doesn't provide the advantage as crow hopping, take that from someone who not only knows the difference but has pitched with both "styles". As many know, I grew up pitching softball, never playing a single game of baseball in my life. I grew up watching pitchers crow hop. So, monkey see monkey do, right? Then at 18, I went to play in my first International game and not only was that illegal but, I had to keep both feet on the rubber. Folks, that was like starting over and having to relearn how to pitch altogether. It took me months to get the timing right and used to the international rules.

The letter of the law is that if both feet are airborne, the pitch is illegal. The spirit of the rule was to stop crow hopping.

While many male pitching coaches that pitched crow hopped when they threw, I don't know anyone that teaches crow hopping to students (female students). That hasn't stopped some females from learning this technique on their own or from watching someone. But, like the male fastpitch game, crow hopping is infiltrating the women's game because of the technology on the other side: $500 composite bats, polycore center balls that not only never soften, but they are missiles when hit with these bats. It's only been 1 season (2 if you count what he we had last year during covid) where the pitcher can step back of the rubber. Finally a modernization to the pitching rules for the girls. It's still RIDICULOUS that ASA, USSSA, PFG, NCAA and any other alphabet soups can't put their heads together for a single rule for pitching.

But, have you ever noticed it's usually the parent who's kid struck out with a $500 bat that complains the most about the pitcher being "illegal"? If you want pitchers to use 1950's rules of not leaping, jumping, crow hopping, etc. then go back to 1950's bats and balls too. Yea, like that'll actually happen. lol

Dec 6, 2019
But, have you ever noticed it's usually the parent who's kid struck out with a $500 bat that complains the most about the pitcher being "illegal"? If you want pitchers to use 1950's rules of not leaping, jumping, crow hopping, etc. then go back to 1950's bats and balls too. Yea, like that'll actually happen. lol
I disagree. It's usually the parents of the pitchers who have taken the time (and money) to pitch legally, and who know the rules, are the ones to complain.

Aug 21, 2008
I disagree. It's usually the parents of the pitchers who have taken the time (and money) to pitch legally, and who know the rules, are the ones to complain.
Fair enough, I was being factious anyway.

But for the sake of clarity, Clairty,... the rules are changing to catch up with the times. You could say some pitchers are ahead of the curve, while others would say they simply cheat, don't play by the rules. Both would be correct, but it depends on your perspective. A lot of people yell at umpires, both for enforcing IP's and not enforcing IPs, they're in a no win situation in many cases. Perhaps you see that as a black and white situation. Let me ask you this,

If your kid was pitching in a game where the umpire was SOOOO terrible, he/she called pitches strikes that were literally bowled on the ground and the catcher had to field like a shortstop, would you tell her to stop? Would you say that's not fair to the other team? Or would you say "throw it where they are calling it!" Now, I realize this isn't an apples to apples comparison but, I'm curious about your response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812