Illegal pitching-no call??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2015
Mike Mac, I agree that it is almost impossible to replant and add a second push/drive (I have seen this)... PLUS+ a second push would negatively impact their speed/accuracy (and this was the result). However, wouldn't you agree (just like Men's fastpitch), that a replant creates a "pivot point" that allows an additional energy transfer to the resisting frontside landing? The legal pitcher has a continuous drag... and does not gain additional energy transfer... since they do not have a pivot point during their "launch to landing". In my experience... and using super slow-mo videos (240fps/480fps) evaluations of these "illegal pitchers"... their replanted "pivot point" is especially effective at increasing spin-rate, which is caused by decreasing the length of the energy transfer... and thus slamming the increased momentum into the front side landing, creating more energy. In addition, it is very deceptive to most batters, due to the pivot... which looks very different than a continuous drag pitcher... like there is a hitch during their release making it harder to time/see/pick-up (hence the success of Barnhill's replanting).
With due respect , those are a lot of words that don't explain much.

If you could pitch yourself, you would easily and quickly realize that the first half of what you've said isn't true.

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
With due respect , those are a lot of words that don't explain much.

If you could pitch yourself, you would easily and quickly realize that the first half of what you've said isn't true.

Yes... it is difficult to explain without a detailed video...

However, @4KidsDad ... I don't appreciate your last comment...

Unfortunately, I had to have spinal fusion surgery and I am unable to pitch baseball anymore...

In addition, before my surgery... I was never able to learn how to pitch fastpitch.

So... next time... Please don't be rude to people you know nothing about!

My students' successes... speaks for my instructional guidance and methodology...

A GREAT MOTTO to live by is Never Stop Learning from others...

As a pitching coach, I continue to learn from my students (of all ages/levels) and other pitching coaches, sports psychologists, etc...

Unfortunately, most pitching coaches around the midwest... have huge egos and are so arrogant... they think they know everything... ugh...

In addition, most of these pitching coaches... are former players... that are poor at teaching... even though they know how to pitch...

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
As you know, most umpires are human and they are right 50% of the time :LOL:

Unfortunately, many of them are told by the assigners and/or the UIC... to NEVER call an illegal pitch, because this will "delay the game/tournament"... WTH??? :censored:🤬

Most people know that the "written rule book" is antiquated...

Hello? This is 2019... the "Digital Era".

The text language of the rules book(s) reads like a LAWYER wrote the rules... 😵

How can we resolve all these “RULE ISSUES” and the inconsistent "umpires interpretations" of the rule book?

By adding approved "video and photo examples" that are specifically designed to clarify the written text rules!

In regards to the topic of replanting…

IMO - Once the drive leg’s foot/shoe/cleat’s “TOE BENDS” while "dragging", it should immediately be "called an ILLEGAL PITCH"
(i.e. the toe bending causes a pivot point - glitch - hitch - delay - replant - crow hop - etc.)

Wouldn't y’all agree that it's extremely EASY to see the drag foot “toe bend”?

It is time for YOU and all the other coaches/parents to DEMAND video and photo examples from the ruling bodies (USA, USSSA, NHFA, PGF, etc) of Fastpitch Softball !!!

Thank YOU for supporting your daughters and this AMAZING sport! 👍 🥎:cool:

Kent Reed
Founder of FastpitchPros and Pitching Instructor
"Training The Future of Fastpitch"

View attachment 15043
Bless you. I feel like you were making some progress with The Man In Blue. I think your "toe bend" cue might be a more serviceable one than the push knee pointing backwards after initial launch. I know the latter was how it was being emphasized of late, but either way, neither can happen without an illegal replant occurring. Either is easy to see live at full speed. Anyway, thanks for your insight here. Keep fighting the good fight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478