Illegal pitching-no call??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2014
You keep claiming that, but you don't need "super slow motion video" or "freeze frame" to see the pitcher in the OP is clearly illegal. I realize, of course, that we've long past the point of productivity here. It's definitely good to see the umpire comments. It just reinforces for the rest of us what I learned long ago - that no matter how illegal a pitcher is with her feet, it's just not going to get called. We just have to realize that fact and move on. The only way to defeat this cheating is for coaches and parents to teach and reinforce the proper methods, and not to succumb to the all too prevalent desire to win at all costs.

Over and out on this thread. Thank you for the enlightenment.

Oct 13, 2017
You're right Mojo. We are fighting a losing battle with most umpires. We try to teach our kids the legal pitching methods (no leaping, no crowhopping, no gym steps). The umps in most cases are just not gonna call it. I'm out of it too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2008
You keep claiming that, but you don't need "super slow motion video" or "freeze frame" to see the pitcher in the OP is clearly illegal. I realize, of course, that we've long past the point of productivity here. It's definitely good to see the umpire comments. It just reinforces for the rest of us what I learned long ago - that no matter how illegal a pitcher is with her feet, it's just not going to get called. We just have to realize that fact and move on. The only way to defeat this cheating is for coaches and parents to teach and reinforce the proper methods, and not to succumb to the all too prevalent desire to win at all costs.

Over and out on this thread. Thank you for the enlightenment.
And exactly what are your qualifications? How many years have you umpired? How many rules and mechanics clinics have you attended? How many national schools have you attended? How many Nationals have you umpired? The video posted DOES NOT have anything in it that would definitively indicate she is illegal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
I loved that our Head Coach told the parents twice that "You are not umpires. You have not been trained, you don't know the rules, and you don't have a view from the bleachers that allows you to make accurate calls. You simply can't call balls and strikes from your position on the bleachers so just let them do their job and I'll interact with them."

We had 3-4 parents who felt this was an MLB game and heckling the ump is part of their enjoyment of the event. I hope it soon stops.

Nov 18, 2013
Funny seeing people say it’s positively certain one way or the other. The video is from a distance, it’s blurry and it’s impossible to see air under her cleat. It looks like a leap, but even in slow motion it’s far from certain.

One thing that positively isn’t happening is a second push. Not that it will deter the expert bleacher umpires from complaining about not calling a crow hop.

Aug 22, 2019
This high school girl jumps off the mound, without dragging, and replants. Is this a crow hop? What should the call be? This was a high school ball game. The officials refused to call it. I thought this was illegal. We lost the game by one run.

That is an illegal pitch bc she is replanting; that being advantageous.

Jul 31, 2019
Illegal....maybe.

Never, ever will be called though. Especially on a dirt field.

My DD's entire high school career I have only seen one illegal pitch called. And it was because the official calling it had no clue....his claim was "she has to maintain contact with the pitching rubber until the ball is released". He was overruled by the plate umpire.

The Man in Blue is correct as well, regarding the replant. If you want to spot a true replant, don't watch the legs. Watch the arm circle. A replant will always cause a hitch in the arm circle that can be seen a mile away.

Spot on with the “hitch” on a replant. It’s a “pause” at the top of the arm circle or beginning of the down swing

Tex

Sep 13, 2011
Some umpires are afraid to make the call or don't know the rules for illegal pitching. The following are the rules from the 2019 NFHS Rulebook and Casebook. If you need more information, send an e-mail to (sdurkee@cableone.net)

NFHS Casebook
(F.P.) In delivering a pitch, if F1's pivot foot breaks contact with the pitcher's plate but not the ground before the non-pivot ("stride") foot has touched the ground, is F1 in violation of the pitching rule?
RULING: Because it is physically impossible for F1's pivot foot to remain in contact with the pitcher's plate when delivering a pitch, F1 shall not be penalized.
COMMENT: In some cases, pitchers are crow hopping which is the act of breaking contact with the ground and replanting the pivot foot. Then F1 separates her hands to start her pitch. In essence, the pivot foot is planted twice, which moves the pitcher closer to the batter, giving the pitcher an unfair advantage. Leaps, hops or skips, etc., are illegal and shall not be permitted. (2-16; 2-33; 6-1-2c)

(2-16) A crow hop is the replant of the pivot foot prior to delivering the pitch. The crow hop is an illegal pitch.
(2-33) A leap is when both feet are airborne by the pitcher prior to delivering the pitch. A leap is an illegal pitch.

NFHS Rulebook
(6-1-2c) The pivot foot may remain in contact with or may push off and drag away from the pitching plate prior to the front foot touching the ground, as long as the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground and within the 24-inch length. If a hole has been created in front of the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may be no higher than the level plane of the ground. Pushing off with the pivot foot from a place other than the pitcher’s plate is illegal.

Three of our most famous pitchers were all illegal : Barnhill, Osterman, and Abbot. You can find these illegal pitches on YouTube

Dec 30, 2011
This high school girl jumps off the mound, without dragging, and replants. Is this a crow hop? What should the call be? This was a high school ball game. The officials refused to call it. I thought this was illegal. We lost the game by one run.

her problem may come when her team reaches the playoffs. Umpires tend to enforce these rules during the playoffs. Same in travel ball. The higher the stakes the greater the enforcement.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478