Illegal pitching-no call??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
if the push foot toes point rearward while “airborne” and then after re-contact with the ground, then the “push” re-aligns the rear foot forward? Driving hip rotation preceding the stide foot/leg bearing weight and resisting? thats a pretty good sign a “second impulse” has ocurred

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
It is illegal BUT as a parent just get used to it. As a coach ask the umps to take a second look once, then move on.

This has happened to me countless times in coaching over the last 10 years. They will call it 5% of the time, and they will let it go 95% of the time. You'll drive yourself (and everyone else) nuts by running around telling everyone she is pitching illegal. If they don't call it...it's not illegal. Just have to accept it. It should be called in my view but it's not, so you just have to breathe deep, let it go and be thankful we get to play and watch this great game...bad calls and all.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have been taking high shutter speed video for more than 10 years and that move is very common. A lot of the time I didn't notice it until I got home and was looking at the video. As a pitching coach I don't believe that it is much of an advantage. It might get you a little closer to the plate but then the pitchers that use it don't have good form/leg drive or front side resistance.

Aug 17, 2019
It is illegal BUT as a parent just get used to it. As a coach ask the umps to take a second look once, then move on.

This has happened to me countless times in coaching over the last 10 years. They will call it 5% of the time, and they will let it go 95% of the time. You'll drive yourself (and everyone else) nuts by running around telling everyone she is pitching illegal. If they don't call it...it's not illegal. Just have to accept it. It should be called in my view but it's not, so you just have to breathe deep, let it go and be thankful we get to play and watch this great game...bad calls and all.
Yep, you’re right about that. It does drive me crazy, because I’m trying help my DD do things right.

Oct 13, 2017
I have been taking high shutter speed video for more than 10 years and that move is very common. A lot of the time I didn't notice it until I got home and was looking at the video. As a pitching coach I don't believe that it is much of an advantage. It might get you a little closer to the plate but then the pitchers that use it don't have good form/leg drive or front side resistance.
It doesn't take high shutter speed for me to see the replant. Illegal IMHO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

May 29, 2015
Why don’t they just change the rule then? It seems like people aren’t calling it at any level.

Going to go with an “angry” on this post, but it’s not at you BktMom. Umpires failing to make calls is not a reason to make a rules change. It’s reason to better train umpires and develop a system to hold them accountable.

May 29, 2015
Illegal....maybe.

Never, ever will be called though. Especially on a dirt field.

My DD's entire high school career I have only seen one illegal pitch called. And it was because the official calling it had no clue....his claim was "she has to maintain contact with the pitching rubber until the ball is released". He was overruled by the plate umpire.

The Man in Blue is correct as well, regarding the replant. If you want to spot a true replant, don't watch the legs. Watch the arm circle. A replant will always cause a hitch in the arm circle that can be seen a mile away.

I don’t know about “never” ... but it is a tricky call especially on dirt. It’s kind of odd, because you would think dirt would make it easier. However, since the field isn’t level, you get trenches, etc. ...

Agreed on the arm circle. It will be “delayed” on an actual crow hop because the point is to push off with the foot again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28